Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2005, 01:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks a ton for your advice!

My current setup is that my overflow goes into the 15 or so gallon sump, which is bulkhead connected 1" from the bottom to the CY192 filter chamber with the skimmer in it. The return pump is mounted inside the CY192, in the chamber after the bio-media tickle area. Is this the right setup? This is how it was already configured by the last person.

I could leave the tower as is - 4" short of the top of the tank - but isn't that a little more risky? That means that 15 or so gallons of the tank are above the tower slits. Otherwise, my water line is 4" below the canopy. Is that normal? It doesn't seem that it would be nearly as attractive.

I guess I'm confused about how to configure this to maintain water level and minimize risk. I guess that if my pump died, the overflow would continue until it dropped below the slits and I need a big enough sump to hold all of that extra water (4" above the tower, right?). Is that the problem that I'm trying to avoid with getting a bigger sump or adding an ajoining one?

Thanks again for your help!

Old 03-31-2005, 04:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you sure its a CY192 15x9 and not the CY194 which is 20x12.5. They look identical.
Quote:
Otherwise, my water line is 4" below the canopy. Is that normal?
IMO its not typical. The water line is usually hidden by the molding on the top of the tank.
Quote:
I could leave the tower as is - 4" short of the top of the tank - but isn't that a little more risky?
Yes it is. There is no realistic way you could get the water level to stay above the overflow slits. For that to happen you would have to have perfectly matched the return pump with the drain, not likely!!!!! What is more likely is your pump would be filling the tank faster than water was draining and it would eventually overflow
Quote:
Is that the problem that I'm trying to avoid with getting a bigger sump or adding an ajoining one?
The bigger sump was recommend to give you more water volume not to address the problem

Old 03-31-2005, 04:33 PM   #13

That's what I figured. I think I'll have to raise the overflow.

Regarding the filter, it's 15x9, but the water first flows from the overflow into an empty 20x12 sump (18 gallons) and just flows into the filter sump through the low bulkhead. It's all on the same level. Is this the proper order for things? Is it essentially true that you control the return so that it cannot keep up with the overflow?

Thanks!
Clint
Old 03-31-2005, 05:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Was it modified with two bulkheads. This is how my CY194 is setup. My tanks drain line connects to the opening at the top of the chamber with the protein skimmer (which fills up). The water then over flows on to the filter media and down through the plastic media and leaves through the bulkhead located in third chamber (runs length wise with protein skimmer chamber. The CPR website has set up instructions in the support section.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:52 PM   #15

It's close, except instead of the drain line going into the skimmer chamber, it goes into the 18 gallon sump first and a bulkhead allows flow into the skimmer chamber. Basically, the sump shows up first. At this point, the benefit is that I can add more water with the 18 gal sump, install an auto top off, put a couple heaters in there and add other things like live rock if I want to.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Interesting, my sump is at the other end water goes through filter then to the sump. Have you tried filling it up (outside) and seeing if the water flows through correctly.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:05 AM   #17

I'm going to test it in a couple days after I finish modifying the tower.

From what I've heard, an extra sump usually is after the filter and contains the return pump, but this has been set up to do the opposite. I can switch it with different plumbing, but I want to know that I need to before I do it. What is the advantage of having the return in the bigger sump as opposed to the chamber after the bio-media?

Thanks!
Clint
Old 04-01-2005, 03:37 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good question. Here's my thought, for the filter to operate the water level in the first chamber must be near the top so your sump would also have to be filled that high. If the power goes out the water in the pipes will drain down into the sump and filter. So can the third (last) chamber in your filter (which would have the least amount of water) hold the water in all the pipes. If it can no problem, if it can't big problem. Now if the sump is after the filter you could adjust the water level to water ever you want in the sump (which is now the low point in the system), allowing enough empty space for the water in the pipes. Reminder check to make sure the return line has a small hole in it to break any vacuum if your power goes out.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:22 PM   #19

The point you make about the sump is a good one. I definitely need to switch it around.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #20

Well, I switched it and it's much better.

Thanks again EJS4!

Clint

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com