need some general help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairtrade

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So...this question may end up being vague, but my saltwater take has had a few deaths. Its been going for over 2 moths now. However, I kinda feel like I'm doing something wrong. Or missing something. My question i guess is what all should i be doing to maintain a healthy tank? I periodically check ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, and they are all good. I do water changes every 2-3 weeks. Are there other things I should be doing?

did you cycle your tank, how big is your tank, what fish are in your tank, which fish died, these questions will help us find the problem.

Do you have ick in your tank? Or any sign of disease? I would do pwcs on a weekly basis and clean filter media every week. Do you run a skimmer? And how are you acclimating them because a drip method is the healthiest for the fish. Do you QT? I didnt and then lost 3 fish because of ick so I strongly reccomend it.

it was a dartfish that died. however, I'm pretty sure he died mostly because of recent additions to the tank. he seemed quite frightened of them, and they picked on him some.

My tank is a 30 gallon. right now I have a six line wrasse, a striped damsel, and a bicolor blenny....and a bunch of snails. The tank has fully cycled, and my ammonia and nitrite readings are at zero. I guess I'm just concerned about the general welfare of my fish. My blenny has just started acting a little strange.

Fot example, like I said, my bicolor blenny has been acting a bit odd. He's swimming around a lot more than usually. The new fish have kinda been taking over his home. And I haven't seen him eat in the last two days. (although he could just be eating when I'm not looking)

Basically, I suspect he may be stressed. What are some general things I could do to help him and the general health of the aquarium? Would doing more frequent water changes be beneficial?

If water parameters are stable then your water change schedule is most likely ok. I like to do them every week on my smaller tanks, keeps everything nice and easy.

is it the damsel that is causing the trouble? They are very aggressive usually and can be very mean to other fish.

Actually, the wrasse and damsel have kinda been ignoring the blenny. Thats the problem. They just hand around his home and the blenny gets annoyed at that but they don't seem to even notice.

This morning the blenny's face is starting to look red....any idea why?

Well I am thinking it is stress killing your fish, the damsel might be the one causing the most stress. Even if you don't see active chasing and nipping just the presence of an aggressive fish can cause problems. I had a midas and a flasher wrasse in the same tank I never saw any actual aggression however the flasher started to go down hill. I moved it to a 55 and it is doing great now. The tank was a 28 gallon so there was plenty of room in there for 2 fish. There was very little change in the wrasse he looked a little skinny and pale but that was all.

I would start another tank. Right now I have a 28 with a midas blenny, a 24 with a blue damsel and a 40 with a lemon peel. :brows: It is probably best to rehome it.

Unfortunately, I dont have the space or the money to have another aquarium

Back
Top Bottom