NEED SOME HELP!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgmatzke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my 45 gal LR & DSB up for about 6 weeks. Everything looks good except the Calcium is low and the ALK is very, very high. I have taken 3 or 4 tests because it is off the charts. This might sound wrong but it reads at 280 mg/l. If I am doing this right I had to drip in 28 drops before it changing color in the test tub which then you multiply by 10 to get this reading. (Hagen test kit)

The sand seems to be doing fine but the rock has little growth and has a hard white film on half of the rock. The PH is at 8.2, ammonia at 0. I don't know what to do at this point so any help would be great. thanks

Report this post to a moderator

This might sound wrong but it reads at 280 mg/l.

What is 280 mg/L CA???

What are the exact numbers for CA and ALK?

What salt are you using?

When was the last water change?

Do you add any buffer?

If your CA is low and your Alk is high, the way I see it you go two choices. You can do water changes with ionically balance SW or you can add clacium chloride to the tank to increase CA and to deplete ALK. The safest and easiest would be to do water changes, be warned I use IO and I have to add 3/4s teaspoon turbo calcium per 5 gallons Instant Ocean SW to make it a balanced solution.

The 280 mg/L CA says Hagen. My Nitrate kit from Hagen is in mg/L.
What it really means is it is too low and you are going to have to add a supplement to bring it up to desired levels.

To try to get a more accurrate reading, you may want to shake the TT between drops if you aren't already doing that..

I use IO for WC and Oceans Blend daily. never fluxes....

Contastantly 500 CA
Alk stays high
PH 8.4
Nitrate .5
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

It says on my test kit that 105 to 125 is ideal, so my water is testing 280 which is off the charts. So I was wondering if this is effecting the growth of my Live rock and what to do about it. Also I don't know any of the abbr. that you are using like IO. thanks

rgmatzke,

IO = Instant Ocean
WC = Water Change

For future reference you can find a list of abbreviations and terms linked off the main navigation menu on the home page.

Dont worry about not understanding the lingo. At any time you are confused just ask for clarification.

What is 280 mg/L CA???

What are the exact numbers for CA and ALK?

What salt are you using?

When was the last water change?

Do you add any buffer?

I am using Red Sea for my last water change and switching to Instant Ocean (ready for water change on Friday)

Last water change was 10 days ago.

I do not use any buffer.

Calcium and alkalinty work kind of like a teter toter. If you calcium is low, naturally your alk is going to be high. If you have a cal and alk test kit I recommend using "B-Ionic 2 part calcium and alkalinty buffer" you can get it at www.championlighting.com or www.transfishsupplies.com . Remember to test when using this product. It will raise you calcium and buffer the alkalinty down. Do not overdose though, your PH will skyrocket. follow the directions exactly.

Back
Top Bottom