Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2005, 12:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to makana
you should look into retroftting the light with powercompacts if you can afford to do so its is wll worth the money you put into it if you do it well. if money really isnt an issue, look into buying a pc light - used theyre not too bad price-wise, just make sure it works, first. if you use a new light (NOT the eclipse canopy, despit its suave looks, it is almost entirely dysfunctional for this kind of system) then a skimmer should definately fit. DO NOT get a seaclone skimmer or a prizm skimmer.
i own a seaclone100 - it is a piece of crap and the prizm skimmers (i believe by RedSea) are junky too i hear. i have heard great things about the aquac remora and its pricetag isnt HUGE (especially if you find one used) but i have never seen one running. i have seen the cpr bakpak's in use and they seem to skim pretty good. theyre reallly cheap too if you get them direct from the manufacturer's retail site. it is www.amekaaquatics.com. look under the "factory seconds" area and youll find all the models for CHEAP because of small cosmetic flaws (blbbles in seams, small scratches). in this area they have bakbpaks, aquafuges, and other cpr goodies at unbelievalbey low prices...
hope this helps

------------------------------------------------------
29g berlin reef w/ 4.9 wpg and tons of current, 10g sump/fuge, and 12" CPR hang-on refugium

SUPPORT YOUR REEF - START A REFUGIUM
makana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually, the Seaclone 100 actually works pretty good in a sump. If you use the HOB design, forget it. I use one in my sump that actually requires the cup to be cleaned out every other day. You just have to keep adjusting it until you get it just right. Mine never bubbles either.

Mike

Old 01-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to makana
i have the hob design
agreed on the adjusting thing for the HOB one too.
but this person has no sump and probably want to keep it simple (first tank and they're new to this) so im gonna recommend spending a little more doh on the aquaC remora because i have hear GREAT things and it is not that much more expensive than the seaclone, which is a PITA and i know from experience.

29g berlin reef w/ 4.9 wpg and tons of current, 10g sump/fuge, and 12" CPR hang-on refugium

SUPPORT YOUR REEF - START A REFUGIUM
makana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com