Need Some Help on My New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilly

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just set up my new Saltwater tank for a week now with 25lb of live rock in a 25 Gallon tank. No fish or reef whatsoever but my ammonia is still showing. Should i wait a few more days and what should i start putting in first? Sorry im a newbie in raising saltwater fishes.

BTW im running an eclipse top and max-jet 400 would that do?

it is cycling the rock. please wait before adding anything else. wait several weeks if you can resist.
what kind of lighting? are you using only the builtin filter? what media? are you skimming? what brand?

I am using the Eclipse built in filter. I dont have a skimmer and im using a maxi-jet 400 for water circulation. As for lighting i have one white light and a neon blue one as well. Is it good enough for a 25gallon tank?

how many watts total? i assume you mean one 10000K and one actinic? check on the bulb...
about the filtration: i highly suggest you begin skimming (preferaably with a GOOD skimmer :)) in the next month or so. or just keep the bioload LOW.
then, after that, you can add some stuff.
the builtin filter is not good for reefs. it will get full of detritus and cause water quality issues. i would look into getting a decent power compact light for this if you want to have any corals. if not, it SHOULD be okay for FOWLR.
also, the cleanup crew is the highlight of every tank! that will be a highlight of your system even if it is FOWLR. plus, you can upgrade light later and add coral then :)

hope this helps...

oh yeah, the maxijet is too small. you need much more power.
id use 2 maxijet 600 or 1200's, one at each far end of the tank, pointed directly at eachother. IMO.
also, take out the media in the builtin filter. but first, go to the fish store and get "resins". tell them what youre doing and theyll help. if you need to get it online, post for more help. but these resin pellets will remove organics and help alot if you replace it regularly. it works way better for reefs than pad filters do, and it uses the same filter space. cool huh?

Thanks for the advice. Im having a hard time to see what kind of bulb im using now. :(

For good filtration in your 25g, you would want to turn over 250gph. The 1200's might blow the sand around in the tank.
The lighting that came with the Eclipse system is most likely NO. This is fine for a FO system.
If you purchase anything, get a decent skimmer. A BakPak would work nicely on this system.
What kind of substrate are you using (sand, cc)?

Mike

i completely agree with salttanker on the skimmer issue. cpr bakpaks are available from amekaaquatics.com at discounted prices under the "factory seconds" area.
please get back to us on the lighting when they go out for the evening :)

but one thing - i just checked on my powerheads. i have two penguin 1140's (each rated at 300 gph) plus the flow from thereturn pump and overflow. this is in my 29g. the sand isnt blowing around, but the water is moving darn well :)
good water flow is essential to sessile inverts.

lemme just say this: it all depends on WHAT youre putting into your cube o' water. some things like more current, some less.
so, what are you planning on putting in there?

I dont think i can fit a skimmer when i have the eclipse top on. Right now the lighting i have is the original white and i bought a florescent blue light tube as well. I will try to check what kind of lighting i have. The eclipse top i have is a 24 inch one so i guess its the middle model.

you should look into retroftting the light with powercompacts if you can afford to do so :) its is wll worth the money you put into it if you do it well. if money really isnt an issue, look into buying a pc light - used theyre not too bad price-wise, just make sure it works, first. if you use a new light (NOT the eclipse canopy, despit its suave looks, it is almost entirely dysfunctional for this kind of system) then a skimmer should definately fit. DO NOT get a seaclone skimmer or a prizm skimmer.
i own a seaclone100 - it is a piece of crap and the prizm skimmers (i believe by RedSea) are junky too i hear. i have heard great things about the aquac remora and its pricetag isnt HUGE (especially if you find one used) but i have never seen one running. i have seen the cpr bakpak's in use and they seem to skim pretty good. theyre reallly cheap too if you get them direct from the manufacturer's retail site. it is www.amekaaquatics.com. look under the "factory seconds" area and youll find all the models for CHEAP because of small cosmetic flaws (blbbles in seams, small scratches). in this area they have bakbpaks, aquafuges, and other cpr goodies at unbelievalbey low prices...
hope this helps :)

Actually, the Seaclone 100 actually works pretty good in a sump. If you use the HOB design, forget it. I use one in my sump that actually requires the cup to be cleaned out every other day. You just have to keep adjusting it until you get it just right. Mine never bubbles either.

Mike

i have the hob design :(
agreed on the adjusting thing for the HOB one too.
but this person has no sump and probably want to keep it simple (first tank and they're new to this) so im gonna recommend spending a little more doh on the aquaC remora because i have hear GREAT things and it is not that much more expensive than the seaclone, which is a PITA and i know from experience.

Back
Top Bottom