Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-01-2005, 12:02 AM   #11
The smaller your fish tank's water volume is, the quicker water parameters deteriorate. It's too much work for such a little tank. If you don't want to go too big, how's a 29G tank? I think those are somewhere in the $80 or something.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:14 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
most people on recommend a firefish/clownfish combo.

I used to have 3 fish,2 hermits,and one shrimp in my tank until my shrimp ate one of my fish.

You can try the 10 gallon but i highly recommend getting a bigger tank. Not because of the diffuculty, which i think people exaggerate a little too much to the point of annoyance, but because i guarantee you in 6 months you'll want a bigger tank and are gonna have to pay for the stuff again.

Look at me.. i started out with a ten gallon, in 2 months i wanted a 29 gallon, and now 1 and a half years later im setting up a 60 gallon for seahorses. Trust me when you keep sw fish you keep expanding i dont care what anybody says you keep adding and buying more tanks. A lot of the fish cant be kept together and youll always find something thats so tempting your gonna buy another tank just for it. And when its 3 or more tanks its not too cheap ecspecially with the cost of live rock.

If you do the 10 gallon i would highly recommend 1 clownfish and possibly 2 neon gobies with hermits and other clean up crews.

Just remember a 10 gallon is not as hard as it seems if you can keep up with water changes.

I'm tired of getting pointless messages. If your going to start a conversation or ask me something, keep up with it.
flamingonhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:36 PM   #13
thanks for your expert advice flaminghot. Now, for the sake of not misleading a SW newbie, let's be real about the tendency of small tanks' parameters to deteriorate faster than larger tanks. I do water change once a month. I've had my tank for more than a year now. I've met people who have 20G SW FOWLRs and they end up water changing every 3 weeks.

Yes, your reasoning is not only valid, it's REAL. Everyone, including me, ends up wanting to have another SW tank. It's your opinion. However, I accept it as though it doesn't push me to the point of annoyance.

With that said, if you believe your 10G tank has enough water turnover to not cause for any concern, go ahead. With that said, you may just convert that 10G as either a refugium, or a QT tank. And maybe you can try a 55G-and-up sized tanks because there are affordable SW fish out there than may require you at least somewhere in the realm of 55G and up.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby! You'll find a lot of interesting articles and helpful topics in this website. It's my one-stop-shopping for SW tank knowledge. With that said, please do watch out for lucky gung-ho individuals who may mislead you with their careless demeanor in the hobby. For the amount of money spent in a SW hobby, doing it right the first time around is what saves you the time and money. Rest assured, you will surely enjoy the SW hobby.Cheers
Old 10-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #14
I think that's plenty of water flow. What do you plan on keeping?

10 gallon, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com