need some help with high nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SammLuke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, I have a 40G breeder, Eheim 2217 filter loaded with matrix, purigen, 30ppi foam, 20ppi foam, micro filtration, phosphate reducer, nitrate reducer and carbon pads. 40-50lbs live rock, 2-3 inch sand bed,
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
Phosphate - 0.25
Nitrate - 80ppm+

The tank has been up for about 1 month... I transfered everything out of the old tank in to the new one(filter media, water and some live rock) when I moved but before placing in the first fish... my nitrates were at 15ppm, everything else was in spec

I received some bad pre-mixed saltwater that I was doing water changes with that had high nitrates, and am having a hell of a time lowering these.

I did a 30% water change (with new 0 nitrate sw) when I first noticed the spike, and have been alternating 10-20% trying not to stress out the fish... but nitrates are barely budging.

The fish in the tank is 2 clowns, scooter dragonette, some type of small (pink/purple) blenny, yellow watchman Goby, hector Goby, 2 blood shrimp and a porcelain crab.

Everything is ok now but I need to lower these nitrates asap... I also have a tangaroa Goby, black ray, 2 hermits and 3 sexy shrimp that I haven't moved over yet...

Anyone know what I can do... I know filter media takes time but this is getting crazy... i'm looking to get a protein skimmer and a phosban reactor to try to lower and prevent.

Any help would be wonderful! Thanks is advance everyone :brows:

if your nitrates are that high
I would recommend doing 2 back to back 50% waterchanges
and if there still off the chart 25% waterchanges daily till there back in range
and after that go back to a normal 10% weekly

I would do them a day apart, but as long as you match the params it shouldn't stress out the fish. Assuming you do 2 50% changes it should drop you to the 20ish ppm range. Another 50 will get you to the 10 range.

Ive done it once when my nitrates were off the scale in my 37g , I was noticing the fish were becoming lethargic and what little coral I had back than looked horrible , if I stood by and did nothing I prob would have lost every fish and coral
as long as you keep salinity the same and also the temp the same and you don't just dump water in overly fast to disturb sand bed you should be fine , if I would have waited I most likely would have lost every fish , 5 years later those same fish enjoy there new 90g home along with some of the original corals
sometimes you just need to battle it full blown to save the livestock

I would consider getting rid of all that foam and replacing it. It could be holding detritus. That may help.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom