Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Need some help with my saltwater tank

hey guys im new to the forum, and i own a 50 gallon saltwater tank the tank has been runing for about 2 yrs, i have a wetdry filter, a uv filter, compact lighting, everything is running good, but for some reason over the last couple of weeks or months, alot of algae red and green is forming on the tank very quickly i mean i ahve to clean it maybe every 4 days, i have fiji live rock in the tank, right now i only have 4 fish in there and i noticed there isnt as much snails as i had before maybe due to the starfish eating them? i was wondering if anyone knows what to do?? or can help me in anyway thanks

Old 01-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

How old are you pc lights? You may also want to check your PO. Are you using ro/di water?

MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I dont think starfish eat snails, you have hermits?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to robertfah
Well, we all know red and green algae is good, but too much isn't good. How long are you leaving your lights on for? Do you have any other cleaner fish (Tangs, Angles) that would eat it?
If not, I recommend getting a Tang. They are safe with LR or Reef tank and they LOVE the algae. I've got 4 in my tank and they love all the algae.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it algae or cyano?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I bet it's cyano. Cyano is usually caused by excess phosphates, and particularly extra DOC's. Do you have a skimmer?

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

yes i have a skimmer, my power compacts r bout yr and couple months old, i used bottled water n or filtered
Old 01-07-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your lights are over due for replacement at over a year. I change my VHOs/PCs at 6 months and MH at 8 - 12 months. I would also check po3 and po4 levels. Monitor your temp also. Temp flux and elevated po3 are the 2 things I have seen that turbo snails can't tolerate too long.

Peace.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertfah
Well, we all know red and green algae is good, but too much isn't good. How long are you leaving your lights on for? Do you have any other cleaner fish (Tangs, Angles) that would eat it?
If not, I recommend getting a Tang. They are safe with LR or Reef tank and they LOVE the algae. I've got 4 in my tank and they love all the algae.
Saying red and green algae is good is just a very broad statement. SOME TYPES of algae are good, some are not.

There are only a couple varieties of tangs that are suitable for a tank her size. You have a much larger tank. There are also already 4 fish in the tank.

I would think that a replacement order of a variety of snails would be helpful. As will changing the bulbs and doing water changes. Mexican turbo snails do better in cooler water, astrea snail do fine in warmer.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com