Need Someones help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggers55

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
okay first off I have and ran many of freshwater tanks in the past with no problems. Kinda got bored with them once I got married and had my son. Well I haven't had a tank in about 3 years not and my son is now almost 5. I have always been told in the past don't get a saltwater tank, waste of money, to hard to keep up on, to expensive etc. Well now that i have a good paying job and a son and wife who are both interested in it as well I think it is time.

I am Really raw to salt water fish and aquariums. I have done a little research but not enough to even begin the process.A buddy of mine has just recently got a 180 gallon tank he is working on so kinda learning a little but he is new to the whole saltwater thing as well. I was thinking of starting with a 55 gallon or maybe a 75 gallon I have heard the bigger the tank the easier it will be to take care of. I guess i am kinda looking for someone willing to help me out throughout the process that will help me understand the whole process without giving up on me.

Looks like it might be a hobby that will help bring memories and what not as a family. We went to the local fish store yesterday and looked around at everything they have.

Everyone one on this forum is here to help :).
The comments that you get from people about being hard, are generally not true. I say generally because there always comes a person, not willing to learn or listen who then creates an environment, that is just not good.

I would start with the 75 gallon if you can, however you'll see things get more expensive the bigger the tank...
I personally just started a new tank, not my first, but it's a 55g and the footprint isn't as bad as people will build it up to be.

If you can, read up on the following things:
Nitrogen Cycle
How Algae grows in a marine tank
Trace Elements; especially if you're considering reef.

If you have any other questions, just ask!

I know the Walmart has a complete saltwater set up for like $150. Can I buy the set up and just use the filter tank and hood?

Could you? Yes. Is it your best option? No... Those Aquarium kits you see often end up being bad. The filter isn't enough, the lights what support anything.
We have to lay down some basics first :).

1. Will you be having a fish-only with live rock (FOWLR) tank. Or a reef?
If you want to have a reef, you will need to buy special lights that have enough power, and the correct spectrum to grow photosynthetic creatures.
The best budget out there: Tao Panel, or eBay LEDS. About $100 a panel, and they can support anything.
For a FOWLR tank, it will not matter what lights you choose to use, as there a rent any photosynthetic creatures that rely on light.

2. Your budget will play a key role in what tank to get... Equipment can get very expensive for certain things. What is your budget for the entire tank?

3. What fish are you looking to keep? I suggest checking live aquaria.com for different fish you like. You can check what tank size they need, and go from there.

I would like a reef tank down the road but for now i figured it would be best to just do live rock.

I would day my budget for the tank without fish would be around 500-700 bucks to start out with. Sorry I didn't even see that question. I would kinda like the more common fish you know "Nemo" lol a few of them and maybe a blue hippo tang (I know they aren't cheap).

I would day my budget for the tank without fish would be around 500-700 bucks to start out with. Sorry I didn't even see that question. I would kinda like the more common fish you know "Nemo" lol a few of them and maybe a blue hippo tang (I know they aren't cheap).

Ok, that helps.
Unfortunately, a blue hippo tang will require a larger tank. Around 180g or so.
However clownfish, will be perfectly fine. In that size tank you can only have 2, due to aggression issues.

I'd say the 55 would fit your budget a lot better then a 75g would. However, the 75 is still doable.

There is a guy here in ohio that has a 75 gallon tank with stand set up right now with chi-lids i could get everything for around $250. Pretty good deal I know but i was wondering if the freshwater tank would make it harder to convert and would it cost ore money? I have a guy here local that I have heard about who sells live rock for around 1.50 to 2.00 a pound. So I would hope the things i just listed would help bring my cost somewhat down? Sorry man I know I am asking alot of questions.

The questions are great; keep them coming!
Does the tank come with the cichlids and everything?
The tank having freshwater in it previously won't be problem...
Are you checking craigslist for setups?

Yes and that is where I have found this one I will try to post picture of it see what you think?

Well keep asking questions to build up knowledge before starting a tank. That is a very important part of the process.
A good example is your fish choices, as tangs are very easily stressed and need to be very large tanks to remain healthy. Being on a budget, it would be a waste of both money and a beautiful fish.
Check out liveaquaria.com and you can start getting ideas on what you want to do for a tank. Then you can make sure the fish you are selecting are reef safe, since you are thinking about doing so later on down the line.

Looks like a 75 to me. A nice stand and a tank. Everything else isn't really usable...the LED lighting would be fine for a fish only until you decided to try out corals and upgrade the lighting.

okay great i think that's the first thing I will buy. How about filter what type of filter would I need?

Back
Top Bottom