Need suggestions/advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMaffei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off I would like to say hello to everyone. I am somewhat of a newbie. It has been over 10 years since I have had an aquarium up and running so I am learning everything all over again!

I have never had a SW tank and I am very excited about the possibility of having one. My problem is this. My wife and I are having trouble coming to an agreement as to what type of marine life to have in the tank. I am partial to more aggressive fish (used to have Tiger Oscars). She on the other hand like pretty colorful fish, especially those that tend to school. Also, she has become partial to reef tanks.

I have been doing a lot of reading lately and would like to hear some suggestions from members as to what a good combination of aquatic life might be that my wife and I will both be happy with. The size of the aquarium is going to be either a 55g or a 180g (I know, big difference. I have the 55g now, I might be getting the 180g for the 55g and cash in trade). I have done FW before and might go that way again with the 55g but if I get the 180g I do not think I can resist going with the SW!

Any advice/information is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
James

bigger is better if i had the room i would have a 180 for sure still trying to figure out where i can put more tanks because i would love to have a reef and a more agressive tank also think you will find that there are alot of very pretty sw fish that are agressive like damsels,hawks,some clowns ect. best bet says you will want more than one tank ... :)

Holy cow your right thats a huge difference between tank sizes.

One thing to base your decision on is the cost if you chose the 180 and if you would go SW with it what your goal would be for the SW tank.

Buy the 180 and do aggressive fish with it, keep the 55 and let the wife do a reef with it. Believe it or not, the amount of trade you'll get on the 55 is negligable anyway.

Back
Top Bottom