Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Need to cool down my tank

It's only April, it's too hot in Cyprus and the temperature in my tanks (especialy the 5g) is reaching 30C (86F). I've already switched off the heaters. Any ideas on how to keep the temperature in proper levels especialy in the summer when the temperature here is abour 40C !

Old 06-06-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
tjw
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I ran into the same situation but I couldn't afford to buy a chiller.... So, I bought a cooling fan on ebay

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZaqua_eworldQQhtZ-1

It has improved air circulation tremendously!!! Even though i have a canope, the air flow from the fan drives out the hot air accumulated inside and you can tilt the fan so that the air flow is directed at the water surface. The little clips on the fan snaps onto the aquarium wall very easily. It dropped the temperature of my tank in hours and saved me $350!!! (and energy efficient, too!)

good luck!

Old 06-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
What kind of hoods are you using? Can you prop them up? I agree with tjw, I have read others have had great success with fans. If you have lights that are putting out a lot of heat, maybe adjust the lighting cycle (slowly) to have them on later or less when it's at the hottest. I'm sure others can give their experiences as well.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

computer fans mounted in the hood to circulate the air helps coolong. some surplus electronic stores sell them for $10 ea.

what type of external ciculation pump? i have also used a fan directly on some pumps to reduce heat transfer to the water. HTH.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
i have also used a fan directly on some pumps to reduce heat transfer to the water. HTH.
Excellent point there! My eclipse 2 hood light plug gives off a lot of heat...don't know how safe that is....
Also, is the tank in a small room or enclosure that won't allow heat to dissipate? I had a 20G in an enclosure meant for a 27in TV, and heat from couldn't dissipate easily.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had the same problem a while back and got great help here. Especially read the posts by tecwzrd near the bottom about keeping a constant temp- good stuff.
Here is the link http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...hlight=#633072
hth
Mike
Old 06-07-2006, 10:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i got a 7" personal clip-on fan from walmart.....right around $8.....it does the job & then some
Old 06-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
you shouldn't have to shut off your heater. If it's set for 80 and the tank is over that, it won't be adding any heat to the tank. you should aim for a stable temperature, so if the fan everyone is recommending gets you down to 82 in the day, then set your heater for 81 or so, so you won't get much fluctuation at night. you don't want to go from 78 to 82 and back every day.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

For those of you using fans I just want to mention two things.

If you are using it to cool an enclosed lighting hood, it is better to have the fan blow air out of the hood than into the hood. Blowing into a lighting hood can cause "cool spots" on the bulbs and shorten the bulb life.

If you are blowing across the water surface to cool the tank, this cooling happens because it is increasing the evaporation rate of the water in the tank. There is nothing wrong with this, just be sure you are making extra top off water to compensate for the extra evaporation.

If your cooling needs are "occasional" there are a few DIY cooling options that are quite easy to build and inexpensive. They are discussed in our DIY forum. Search there for Chiller and you should be able to find them.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com