Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-29-2016, 02:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Smile need to know the do's and dont's for my tank

hi im completely new to salt water aquariuims, and i need help! i have a 10 gallons tank and need to know the do's and dont's for my tank! also where i could find the cheapest stuff, what kind of fish would work best, and what i need! thank you!

Old 02-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

There are several articles that will help you out in our articles section to help you get started. You can also check out the nano fish section on liveaquaria.com to get an idea of what kind of fish can go into such a small tank.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

but every time i try to go to that site it says they are down...
Old 02-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaterfishie View Post
hi im completely new to salt water aquariuims, and i need help! i have a 10 gallons tank and need to know the do's and dont's for my tank! also where i could find the cheapest stuff, what kind of fish would work best, and what i need! thank you!

Do research, research, research. Don't go cheep, good quality stuff is better and will last longer. You really get your money worth in this hobbyThis is the key to the salty side of the hobby. For a 10g I recommend a good oversized hob filter and a smaller power head. I used this one http://www.shop.mediabaskets.com/Hyd...FYE8gQod7tQAlQ
A good heater is a must, as stable water chemistry is a major thing. An then we come to lights. Do you want corals?
If so corals require high grade lights in order to grow. I use the Chinese black boxes.

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

need to know the do's and dont's for my tank

http://m.liveaquaria.com
Try here

10g saltwater
Old 02-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

live aquaria says that their website is down, and what is the benefit to having coral? and what are some alternatives? and what fish could i put in a 10g tank? and should i just buy a tank that comes with all the essentials or would buying it separately be cheaper?
Old 02-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

need to know the do's and dont's for my tank

No benefit besides it looks awesome, coral are animals in there on right. So they are just more to acre for but they are beautiful. For a 10g its better to piece it all together unless your going for a bio cube or something similar. You get better equipment by sticking by piecing it together. Most sites have lots of sales around holidays for equipment so there's rant for saving money

Corals not a plant, they are in fact an animal. There's no benefit in keeping them other the fact it's a little more then some incentive for keeping your tank up to standard. Also they look awesome

10g saltwater
Old 03-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ok so once ive bought my tank what should i do next? do you guys have any suggestions of where i should buy my stuff from? or do you suggest that since im a "newbie" i just buy a bio cube thingy?

- thank you so much for all you guys help btw you all rock!
Old 03-01-2016, 01:49 AM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It's pretty easy, but you need to decide if you want a fish only system or a reef tank. That will define the equipment you need.
Either way, both will need 1 lbs of sand and rock per gallon.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

There are many awesome invertebrates you can consider adding to the tank. Some will eat others so it is best to know what you would like and then see if it fits with the rest.

You can find a previously owned tank, cube, but you can do a reasonable cost small tank. Let me warn you as someone who thought that it would be not too hard to do a small tank on the bargain side of things, there are too many really awesome things you will end up wanting.

As for the size of a tank you might want to get a little arger, Petco has dollar per gallon sales maybe still on now and many companies sell inexpensive kits with a lid and light for freshwater and if you don't want coral right away just fish you have a couple considerations.

One is a 10 gallon tank doesn't really hold much for fish, maybe 1-2 fish like one clown fish and one Clown Goby.

You can do a much larger, say 40G breeder size (3' wide) and have a few fish with a light with some shrimp and crabs and different types of snails and an Urchin which was one of my favorites.

Check out this POTM winning 40G tank.
Paul's 40 Gallon Reef

Anyway if you are set on a small tank start reading through some of the builds with small tanks and start learning from everyone and that might help you decide whether you want corals and will be willing to take care of their needs. Or fish and what kind you might want because that will also help you decide on what size tank you are going to need. If you want a Tang your gonna need a 125G minimum, lol!

A 15G tall would be good if you just wanted a Clown Fish (Ocellaris or Purcula, not a Clarkii or Maroon) and Clown Goby Green or Citrinis or Yellow.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com