need to know the do's and dont's for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwaterfishie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi im completely new to salt water aquariuims, and i need help! i have a 10 gallons tank and need to know the do's and dont's for my tank! also where i could find the cheapest stuff, what kind of fish would work best, and what i need! thank you! :fish2:

There are several articles that will help you out in our articles section to help you get started. You can also check out the nano fish section on liveaquaria.com to get an idea of what kind of fish can go into such a small tank.

hi im completely new to salt water aquariuims, and i need help! i have a 10 gallons tank and need to know the do's and dont's for my tank! also where i could find the cheapest stuff, what kind of fish would work best, and what i need! thank you! :fish2:

Do research, research, research. Don't go cheep, good quality stuff is better and will last longer. You really get your money worth in this hobbyThis is the key to the salty side of the hobby. For a 10g I recommend a good oversized hob filter and a smaller power head. I used this one http://www.shop.mediabaskets.com/Hy...-HY01144.htm?gclid=CJzmrvvUncsCFYE8gQod7tQAlQ
A good heater is a must, as stable water chemistry is a major thing. An then we come to lights. Do you want corals?
If so corals require high grade lights in order to grow. I use the Chinese black boxes.

live aquaria says that their website is down, and what is the benefit to having coral? and what are some alternatives? and what fish could i put in a 10g tank? and should i just buy a tank that comes with all the essentials or would buying it separately be cheaper?

No benefit besides it looks awesome, coral are animals in there on right. So they are just more to acre for but they are beautiful. For a 10g its better to piece it all together unless your going for a bio cube or something similar. You get better equipment by sticking by piecing it together. Most sites have lots of sales around holidays for equipment so there's rant for saving money

Corals not a plant, they are in fact an animal. There's no benefit in keeping them other the fact it's a little more then some incentive for keeping your tank up to standard. Also they look awesome

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so once ive bought my tank what should i do next? do you guys have any suggestions of where i should buy my stuff from? or do you suggest that since im a "newbie" i just buy a bio cube thingy?

- thank you so much for all you guys help btw you all rock!

It's pretty easy, but you need to decide if you want a fish only system or a reef tank. That will define the equipment you need.
Either way, both will need 1 lbs of sand and rock per gallon.

There are many awesome invertebrates you can consider adding to the tank. Some will eat others so it is best to know what you would like and then see if it fits with the rest.

You can find a previously owned tank, cube, but you can do a reasonable cost small tank. Let me warn you as someone who thought that it would be not too hard to do a small tank on the bargain side of things, there are too many really awesome things you will end up wanting.

As for the size of a tank you might want to get a little arger, Petco has dollar per gallon sales maybe still on now and many companies sell inexpensive kits with a lid and light for freshwater and if you don't want coral right away just fish you have a couple considerations.

One is a 10 gallon tank doesn't really hold much for fish, maybe 1-2 fish like one clown fish and one Clown Goby.

You can do a much larger, say 40G breeder size (3' wide) and have a few fish with a light with some shrimp and crabs and different types of snails and an Urchin which was one of my favorites.

Check out this POTM winning 40G tank.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f71/pauls-40-gallon-reef-328700-115.html#post3347004

Anyway if you are set on a small tank start reading through some of the builds with small tanks and start learning from everyone and that might help you decide whether you want corals and will be willing to take care of their needs. Or fish and what kind you might want because that will also help you decide on what size tank you are going to need. If you want a Tang your gonna need a 125G minimum, lol!

A 15G tall would be good if you just wanted a Clown Fish (Ocellaris or Purcula, not a Clarkii or Maroon) and Clown Goby Green or Citrinis or Yellow.

would a bigger tank result in more money spent? and what is the difference between a reef tank and a fish only tank? and where should I buy all these items from? and what is a list of the items i need for a 10 or 15-gallon tank?

would a bigger tank result in more money spent? and what is the difference between a reef tank and a fish only tank? and where should I buy all these items from? and what is a list of the items i need for a 10 or 15-gallon tank?

Well a bigger tank means you have to buy bigger equipment to fit it out right. As well as more sand and rock so short answer, yes. Craigslist has deals some times for this stuff, I got 1k worth stuff for 300$ so just matter where you look.

Reef tanks are coral reefs, you have coral and it's a lot more care for it.
Also fish tank are most likely a fowlr tank. Fish only with live rock, same things are needed but without the high quality lights

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the objective of keeping a SW tank for you? Beautiful fish, the challenge of keeping SW fish?

What do you expect or wish to see when you see your tank? If you start with that, you might be able to define what kind of tank would be best for you.

my objective is to have a nice simple SW tank I just want to have something to look at and be able to enjoy it, nothing to challenging or difficult, maybe just one or two fish, some anemone ( however you spell it lol) and maybe MAYBEEE some coral, but i just want to be able to have something i can have within my dorm room:confused:

the only reason I am wanting a small tank is because I can only have up to a certain size within my dorm room, I think I can have up to 15 or 20 gal. if I were to get one of those what would be recommended in stocking the tank? what supplies would I need? what can I put into that tank?

Back
Top Bottom