Needing advice....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angeladawng

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone! My name is Angie and I'm new here. Was just wondering if anyone can help me out a little bit.....

I have had a 56 gal freshwater tank set up in my office for over 2 years and have had very few, if any, problems with it other than the occasional casualty. I decided a few days ago to switch to saltwater and give the tropicals to my son to take care of. Set up a 10 gallon in his room and they are doing very well. (there was only 5 fish)

I emptied the 56, cleaned it out with mild soap, rinsed several times, wiped down with bleach and rinsed several more times. Brought it back in and set it up with the saltwater.

I am using aragonite sand for substrate. Coral Sun actinic 420 bulb. Instant Ocean Sea Clone 100 Protein skimmer (which I am not sure is working). Submersible heater and Marineland Emporer 280 with the biowheel taken out as I have read that the biowheel is a nitrate farm and to remove them. I have an Emporer 400 on the way that I ordered last night because clearly the 280 isn't gonna cut the mustard. I started everything up and added API Quick start according to the instructions.

Do I add live rock now and after adding it, what should I do? Other than test daily and watch my levels? Do I need to "scrub" it before putting it into the tank? And how do I go about scrubbing live rock??? (I certainly won't be getting out the pine sol and scrubbing like mom used to...I would think that would be bad)

Also, is my bulb good enough to have an anemone or two?? It says on the package that it's for invertabrates but I have been reading other places where people were recommending $400 bulbs and that is just not in the budget for me...I thought $17 was expensive for a light bulb. My light fixture only holds one 24 inch bulb.

I am sorry about the length of the post and for my ignorance but I wanted to be thorough. :thanks:

You can add the live rock now and also ammonia or a table shrimp to start the cycle. And yes, check the levels everyday and follow the cycle. As far as the light, it will not be enough to supporrt a nem. Most likely not enough for corals at all. You would need at least a 4 bulb t5ho light to keep even the easiest of corals. If you go fish only that light will work.

thank you for helping....I am going to return the light today and hopefully find one that I need and will get some live rock and will see what LFS has as far as shrimp goes.

If you are using shrimp to start the cycle, just go to the grocery store and get them. Only need 1 or 2.

Yesterday I was really starting to get discouraged.....My new emporer 400 came and low and behold, it doesn't fit my tank (column tank with a center bar)...it's an inch too wide...bummer for me...oh well, today is a new day. Going to leave the 280 on and purchased 2 powerheads today with filter attachments to give me the extra filtration and water movement I need. Gonna wait until income tax time to get good lights....

How am I doing so far???

Moving in the right direction.. good luck! What do you mean by filter attachments? You can go ahead and add your live rock (don't scrub it!) and get everything running. If you do switch filters, you'll throw away a lot of your good bacteria and will start your cycle over. So if you do switch filters, be sure to put the media you're using in your current filter in the new one.

Throw a couple shrimp in and wait.

Your five fish in a ten gallon doesn't sound too good.

got aquaclear powerheads and you can get filter attachments for them. Added the live rock last week and have 2 clowns in there...they are doing great. Good eaters and my levels are doing really well....partial water change tomorrow. Happy girl :)

need lots more live rock...have to find a cheaper place than petco to get it though....prices there are INSANE

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 84
There are also places online that you can order from for better deals as well. To save more money, macro or base rock can be used. It will become live with your cycle and you won't have to worry about hitchhikers.

Back
Top Bottom