Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
obscurereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesealover View Post
Wow thanks a lot! I will definitely check out now the website you mentioned. You were right about the prices, what I don't like in reefs2go is I had to do separate research to know more information about their products. I want to have dwarf zebra lion fish and angel fish, goby, Royal Gramma Basslet Fish, puffer and of course clown fish :-d. For corals I am eyeing Saltwater Bubble Tip Anemone, Candy Apple Zoanthids Coral , Green Star Polyps Coral and Green Bubble Tip Anemone. I want to have a red starfish too and some crab and snail. I know it might be too much but can't a lady dream? lol and those were just list for selection so do you think those will get along together???
As much as I'd like to have a bunch of random fish in my tank, I'd be left with one after that one ate all the others. Unfortunately you shouldn't get most of those fish. The lion fish, even though dwarf, is rated for a min. size tank of 50 gallons. Plus they eat anything that fits in their mouths, and their mouths are larger than you think. Also they are messy eaters and that leftover food contributes to nitrates. All negatives sadly. I think puffers can nip at certain coral and will def. eat inverts like the snails and crabs. Look at the compatibility charts on liveaquaria to see what will get along.

Angel fish get HUGE (1ft+) and dwarf angelfish are usually known to eat corals, rarely have I seen them not eventually taking a liking to coral. Goby and royal gramma is fine. However, royal grammas can be a little territorial and I've heard they hide a lot anyway.

How about one clownfish, a firefish(I love the purple instead of the red), and a couple nano gobies would work. Maybe a small wrasse too. That's pretty much all the fish you should add. Inverts: cleaner shrimp are awesome! Great CUC (clean up crew) members and if you put your hand in they'll try to clean it!

Trust me, I have changed my stock list hundreds of times (exaggerating, but it feels like this)! Almost all the time, even though the LFS will have 50 types of different fish, I can't get one of them, b/c none of them will be peaceful and reef safe. I wish all fish got along, but they don't and in a small reef tank, you'll find you can't have a lot of fish that get large, but you can go crazy with many different types of corals!

Zoas and mushrooms are hardy and good corals for beginners .
__________________

__________________
“Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
underthesealover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef View Post
As much as I'd like to have a bunch of random fish in my tank, I'd be left with one after that one ate all the others. Unfortunately you shouldn't get most of those fish. The lion fish, even though dwarf, is rated for a min. size tank of 50 gallons. Plus they eat anything that fits in their mouths, and their mouths are larger than you think. Also they are messy eaters and that leftover food contributes to nitrates. All negatives sadly. I think puffers can nip at certain coral and will def. eat inverts like the snails and crabs. Look at the compatibility charts on liveaquaria to see what will get along.

Angel fish get HUGE (1ft+) and dwarf angelfish are usually known to eat corals, rarely have I seen them not eventually taking a liking to coral. Goby and royal gramma is fine. However, royal grammas can be a little territorial and I've heard they hide a lot anyway.

How about one clownfish, a firefish(I love the purple instead of the red), and a couple nano gobies would work. Maybe a small wrasse too. That's pretty much all the fish you should add. Inverts: cleaner shrimp are awesome! Great CUC (clean up crew) members and if you put your hand in they'll try to clean it!

Trust me, I have changed my stock list hundreds of times (exaggerating, but it feels like this)! Almost all the time, even though the LFS will have 50 types of different fish, I can't get one of them, b/c none of them will be peaceful and reef safe. I wish all fish got along, but they don't and in a small reef tank, you'll find you can't have a lot of fish that get large, but you can go crazy with many different types of corals!

Zoas and mushrooms are hardy and good corals for beginners .
BTW I seen you have a bird? in your photo? Is that one of your hobby too? I asked coz I have a cockatoo myself had a african grey too but had to let one go coz of attention issue with my too
__________________

__________________
underthesealover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
underthesealover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesealover View Post
BTW I seen you have a bird? in your photo? Is that one of your hobby too? I asked coz I have a cockatoo myself had a african grey too but had to let one go coz of attention issue with my too
Here is snowy
__________________
underthesealover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
underthesealover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesealover View Post
Here is snowy
Not sure if my picture is uploading. I am ignorant in this matter here (sigh)last try lol.
__________________
underthesealover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
obscurereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,301
Oh haha I've never owned a bird nor know a lot about them. I picked this drawing from an art website (society6). I occasionally draw for fun, but I love looking at others awesome works.

It's ironic b/c hawks have super keen eyesight and if they lose their eyesight or it weakens they are practically useless..I mean they depend on their eyesight for hunting and such. I'm not crazy about birds or anything, just found a little humor in it for some reason.
__________________
“Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
obscurereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,301
You can put your images on photobucket then copy the link and put it on here.
__________________
“Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
underthesealover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef View Post
You can put your images on photobucket then copy the link and put it on here.
It's weird I had to copy paste a link from photo bucket just to upload a pic while earlier I was able to attach the file i think! in my post to upload the pic of the tank model i have
__________________
underthesealover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
underthesealover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 36
wakokok i was wrong. it didn't upload my bad.
__________________
underthesealover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
underthesealover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 36
Sorry for being a bugger but I almost forgot, will I need a pods if I will put wrasse, goby and clownfish? If yes will I need a refugium to maintain a supply of pods for my fish??? Also is it safe if I want to increase the flow rate of my tank by buying circulation pump?
__________________
underthesealover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
obscurereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,301
No you don't need pods in fact they are prob. on your LR and will build a population up, but the fish might pick at them every now and them . The power head would provide more flow for corals that like higher flow, and it can suspend detritus so that it can go into the filter. People usually turn off their power heads when they want to feed fish.

Something I forgot to mention that you might not know is that when water evaporates, the salt is left behind. The salinity rises and if you put more saltwater in, the salinity would rise even more. This is why you must replace evaporated water w/ fresh water (no salt added).
__________________

__________________
“Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
29 gallon, bio, biocube, cube, led, starting, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.