Needing help starting a 29g biocube PC/LED tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No you don't need pods in fact they are prob. on your LR and will build a population up, but the fish might pick at them every now and them :). The power head would provide more flow for corals that like higher flow, and it can suspend detritus so that it can go into the filter. People usually turn off their power heads when they want to feed fish.

Something I forgot to mention that you might not know is that when water evaporates, the salt is left behind. The salinity rises and if you put more saltwater in, the salinity would rise even more. This is why you must replace evaporated water w/ fresh water (no salt added).

OIC. So I don't need pods or refugium right? I read and watch a video about that article of adding freshwater in your tank coz of the salt was left so I was aware of it but thanks. But also I want to know is it different procedure when I am just putting a water to replace the vaporized salt water than actually changing water in the tank? If so, how often should I just add fresh water and when should I actually change the water and also that fresh water I am putting should I test it 1st before putting it in the tank to make sure its well balance or a distilled water will just all I need and thats it?

You don't need to test the distilled water that will be your top off water. For water changes you do need to replace the water you take out with saltwater. Try to make it match the pH, salinity, and temp. as you do with your set up tank. Topping off the water can be a hassle b/c the water evaporates so quickly (at least for me). I have about a 110 g. system all together and I'd estimate 2 gallons more or less are evaporated each day. For you it might be a few cups a day, or since theres a cover maybe less. But it is essential to have the levels constant, so unlike FW you can't just be lazy and not replace the evaporated when it gets really low. Water changes could be 10% a week. Or 5 gallons would work too (has great results and just need a 5 gallon jug). This is frequently replenishing the elements that the corals thrive on like calcium, alk., magnesium, etc (in salt mix), and getting rid of dirty water and waste.

You don't need to test the distilled water that will be your top off water. For water changes you do need to replace the water you take out with saltwater. Try to make it match the pH, salinity, and temp. as you do with your set up tank. Topping off the water can be a hassle b/c the water evaporates so quickly (at least for me). I have about a 110 g. system all together and I'd estimate 2 gallons more or less are evaporated each day. For you it might be a few cups a day, or since theres a cover maybe less. But it is essential to have the levels constant, so unlike FW you can't just be lazy and not replace the evaporated when it gets really low. Water changes could be 10% a week. Or 5 gallons would work too (has great results and just need a 5 gallon jug). This is frequently replenishing the elements that the corals thrive on like calcium, alk., magnesium, etc (in salt mix), and getting rid of dirty water and waste.

When I change water, can I just use the same instant ocean sea water I used now to set up my tank? I asked coz I still have almost 10g of those water left here from what I purchased. If I can use that then I will just began mixing my own after which is i know won't be too long. I also just want to ask do I have to mix and test everything in a bucket and compare it with my water before putting it in the tank or just pour water and balance it there? I doubt the last option but not so sure if I am right? Also can I just be mixing big amount of water and let it pile in the container so I don't have to keep on mixing bit by bit or if I do that do I have to make sure to keep the water pumped to stabilized its condition? sorry if I have too much question.

I am planning to buy this as my testkit is this sufficient? API Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit at PETCO
Also will I have to buy separate ammonia to put in my tank after? I also planned to buy this as my circulation pump, I was going to buy the bigger model but after reading reviews in different website it said this lower model should do the trick. Amazon.com: Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Aquarium Circulation Pump, 240 gph: Pet Supplies. Also is the instant ocean hydrometer is good to get as well??? my tank is pretty clear now and it looks lije its ready to go but how will i know if its fully cycled now? maybe coz i got my rock from other direct tank in LFS?

Back
Top Bottom