Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

pH, Alkalinity, Ca and Magnesium are all related and should be in certain ranges. You may want to consider testing for them too.

From my readings I discerned that it is possble to show near zero or 0 PO4 and still have PO4 present. It's just that the hair/other algae are in equalibrium and using it as it becomes available. Once you remove the algae the test kit will then show the presence of of the phosphate.

On my last oubreak of hair algae (probably due to my overfeeding) I got some turbo snails. They are still in the tank, knocking over anything that is not glued down (small rocks, some corals, clams) and look about ready to be called escargot

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

so maybe i should go out and get a few of them. did some one say 1 snail per gallon? or should i get a mix of hermits and snails at a 1:1 ratio? i know from past experience that when i had hermits they tend to feed on the poor old snails, therefor degrading my water quality and wreaking havoc on my tank.

i think if i can get my hair allege undercontrol i just may be able to get my tank back into normal range. once i get the hair allege i am going to hook up my 25watt UV light and that should help with the rest. problem with that is i have no way to get the water to and from the light. the top of my tank is full with equipment .

Old 12-22-2007, 03:18 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

You need to find the source of your PO4. You can try reducing the photo period and feeding to help slow or stop the algae.

What is your SG? Do you have a refractometer to check that?
You can also get a couple of turbo grazer snails for the hair algae. Do not get a sailfin blenny as it will starve shortly after the hair algae is gone.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes, i do have a refractometer. can a low or high sg. contribute to an allege problem? and thanks for the tid bit. i will go out this week and buy a few of those snails. i have cut back feeding to once every 3 days and the lighting period i have not cut back again. like i said before i cut my light back drastically and i belive my corals started to suffer from it. so i bring my lighting back to about 10hrs a da and things seem to be getting healthier as well as the hair allege also. i can tell its darking up and starting to grow again.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Not to my knowledge, but a refractometer is more accurate than the swing arms which usually don't get the maintenance that required to keep them accurate.

Start off with 1 snail/gallon and add more if necessary. I say skip the hermit crabs unless you want to find empty snail shells.

Also you should read and follow Hara's 10 Step Plan for Nuisance Algae Control
as that has helped many folks here.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com