Neglected 65FOWLR - needs change - what would u do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
btw.. the mag3 is submersible, in other words you can soak the whole thing, the impeller should come right out.. Im not getting that one unless its so junked up it wont come out then it would need more cleaning..
as seham said your PO4 kit is more then fine (they dont degrade untill they have been opened)

My skimmer has been running for almost 24 hours. For the first few hours lastnight the foam was reaching the top of the column and creating very wet skimate so I moved the collection cup up a bit. Nothing more has been collected since. I have been putting very small amounts of formula1/formula2 and frozen brine shrimp in every other day for almost 2 weeks. Hope it works that baby wasn't cheap!

If your not going to take the hobby sersiously then I suggest you save yourself some money and take the tank down before you get fish. I hope your willing to put in 20 min a day for feeding, top offs and glass cleaning and a few hours a month for water changes.

I have 2 fish in my QT tank that I have been caring for. It's kinda funny, they have been in QT for six months! Now I'm scared to move them to the big tank. I will make sure the conditions are right. It may even be after I add a sump. Its only 10g so top offs and water changes are no big deal. 2 clown fish. I think they are doing well.

Thanks,
-E

I have been doing small water changes all week. Alge is starting to grow on the upper rocks. The urchins are munching away. I have been running the lights about 8 hours and feeding f1/f2 and frozen brine every otherday. Still not seeing much action from the skimmer. It finally filled up today with cloudy water. Not sure what to do. I am tempted to try one of the new Coralife jobbies.

Had a dream lastnight there was a sea turtle in my tank. Strange.

-E

I guess I may be going through a cycle. One week after initial post:

NH3 = .5ppm
PO4 = 0
NO3 = 0
ph = 8.4 little high eh?

Tests ran at about 9pm CST.

Another water change is in the works.

I've added an hour to the lights being on. The urchins are going to town on the alge. The urchin that lost its spines didn't/couldn't make it up to the upper rocks (which have the most alge) so I lowered a small peice down to the DSB and he is all over it.

After a week of running the Remora it still only fills up with cloudy water. Any suggestions? I don't wanna have to buy a new one.

Thanks,

-E

maybe you could try to start a new thread about your remora.. Im not to sure if the water level is adjustable but if it is try to lower it some.. HTH

Green hair algea has made a home of the upper rocks and back glass. The urchincs seem to be enjoying it. I think I see a few spots of cyano tryin to make a go of it. I hate that stuff.

I guess a good sign is that some spots of coraline are starting to appear on the glass and the live rock seems to be turning purple.

Stats:

ph: 8.2 - 8.4
NO3: undetected
ammonia: either .25 or .5ppm - i cant friggin tell
phos: undetected
nitrite: undetected

Do these stats seem right after almost 3 weeks? I am off to do a 10g water change.
Is there anything I can do about the cyano until i figure out a sump/fuge solution? Maybe I will get some cheato and put it and keep an eye on it. There are no fish to eat it so I would just have to keep it trimmed right?

Happy Turkey Day!

-Eric

Back
Top Bottom