Neon/Blue Velvet Damsel Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImLookinForNemo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I really like these guys- I just think they're a great color and I would love to have one. At the moment I have no fish, can I add one of these guys first and then clownfish later or is he gunna be too aggressive? I wanted to go with damsel first because they are cheapest (just in case) but if this guy is too aggressive i will probably start with either blue or green chromis. So what do you think? Do any of you have one? Anything special I need to know about them before I decide whether to get one or not??

You might like it now but as they age this species lose most of their beautiful coloration and become quite the holy terrors. This is one fish I would skip. FWIW, if the tank is properly cycled and the clowns are introduced via quarantine, there is no reason why they cannot be the first addition. What clowns did you have in mind and what are the tank specs?

Cheers
Steve

Ooops :oops: , mine don't look nuthin like that. Mine are all blue, then I have 4 that are all blue with yellow tails.

well the tank is cycled, with live rock for almost 2 months...all specs are good:

ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-10
sg- 1.024
temp-78
anything im forgetting?

I was slow to add 2 clowns at once because 2 at once is sort of expensive (almost 40 bucks) can i add them seperately to save cash? how would i go about doing this?

ImLookinForNemo said:
anything im forgetting?
ph ?

I was slow to add 2 clowns at once because 2 at once is sort of expensive (almost 40 bucks) can i add them seperately to save cash? how would i go about doing this?
You are much better off if they are purchased and introduced at the same time. It will greatly increase the chances the two will become a mated pair. Try and get them on the smaller side <1" and TR if possible.

If another clown is added to a tank later on after the first one is established, there is a good chance they will not bond and possible kill each other. Not something that always happens but can happen. One way to try avoiding that is buying the second addition much smaller than the first. As I said though, you are much better off buying both at the same time.

Cheers
Steve

ph-8.2

hmm yea, I knew it's best to get them at the same time, i just wasnt sure if i would be able to. If nothing else, i will likely just start off the tank with some green chromis.

How big is the tank? Schooling chromis look great in a larger tank with 6+ fish swimming together but my personal experience with them is that if there are not enough, they will soon become beligerant, territorial and seriously aggressive feeders. Just something to consider when making your choice.

Cheers
Steve

o...well i knew they did well in little groups but i never really realized how necessary it was...the tank is only 30 gal. So sounds like I will be getting clowns as my first fish...i was kinda scared to get them first but if the tank is fine then everything will be ok right?? hmm....

As long as the fish are healthy, properly QT'd and the water remains stable they should be fine. Just keep tabs on water quality when they are added and do the needed water changes if the numbers creep up. Once fish, are added the bio filter will need time to catch up but water changes will keep things in check until it does :wink:

Good Luck!
Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom