Never Had a Salt Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaTetra

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've never had a saltwater tank, but it seems cool. My main worries: 1-The fish need more room since they are generally from coral reefs somewhere, so instead of the 10 or 20 gallon tank I actually have space for, I would need like 75 gallons to start out, and 2- salt is expensive, coral and salt plants are expensive, the fish are all expensive.... You get the drift. So, I want to be proved wrong and shown that a 5-20 gallon tank can hold fish, and cost relatively the same as a similar sized freshwater tank. P.S. I may end up stealing the idea.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

My 10g nano reef

Live stock list includes
Red banded hi fin goby/ candy cane pistol shrimp

Pom pom crab, skunk cleaner shrimp, and a few snails and hermits

Possum wrasse

And lots of corals :D, mainly zoas, ricordea, some lps (acans, blastos, Duncan's, and euphies), and a couple sps.

Nanos aren't as hard as they seem as long as you can maintain a consistent weekly maintenance routine.

Thanks bigreds, this is just the type of thing I was looking for! Lol i doubt this will happen soon, but in the future I hope to have 3 or 4 freshwater tanks, and a nice nano reef like yours. The goby and shrimp are symbiotic right?

I've never had a saltwater tank, but it seems cool. My main worries: 1-The fish need more room since they are generally from coral reefs somewhere, so instead of the 10 or 20 gallon tank I actually have space for, I would need like 75 gallons to start out, and 2- salt is expensive, coral and salt plants are expensive, the fish are all expensive.... You get the drift. So, I want to be proved wrong and shown that a 5-20 gallon tank can hold fish, and cost relatively the same as a similar sized freshwater tank. P.S. I may end up stealing the idea.

Sorry to break it to you, but a fresh water tank won't even be close to the same price as a salt water tank.

Buying cheap dry rock will cost about $3 a pound. For a salt water tank thats $250 in rock alone if you go for the low amount of rock at 1lb per gallon.

Ro/di, testing equipment, refractometer, heater is gonna cost another $175ish on the cheap end

Substrate will be another $80 if you buy the cheaper stuff from Marco rocks.

A box of salt is gonna run $40 - $50

Powerheads are gonna cost another $100 ish depending on brand.

A used tank, stand, and light could be bought for another $200 or so on craigslist

Back
Top Bottom