Never had tank, newbie with questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00bolt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Iv always been fascinated with water life. Just got back from Destin, FL on vacation and went scuba diving and decided im finally gonna get that saltwater tank Iv always wanted.

I remember back in high school I took a marine biology class and we had a HUGE like 1500 gallon freshwater tank, but we had this very small, probably about 20g-30g saltwater reef tank. I dont remember what all it had in it, but remember the teacher saying it was kinda like a world in there, it only had 1 fish, but all the rock, plants, etc were live. said it had live insects or something... but basically it lived on its own. I think he even said he never feed the fish, the fish lived off the insects or something, they lived off whatever, etc etc... I always loved that tank, it was small but so amazing.

I have plans to ONE DAY build a big fancy tank into a wall in my living room (other side of this wall is a huge closet in my offic with double doors, would be perfect for tank setup)... but before I spend the money on that project, i figure I need to get myself a little associated with the hobby. Since Iv never had a tank (had freshwater long time ago)... id was thinking of getting something smaller...

I basically know NOTHING, but I found this tank online and wondering if anyone knows anything about it... seems like a pretty nice little tank, but as far as filters, lights, etc I dont have a clue if its any good...

basically im looking for a few things

1. is this a good choice for a first tank?
2. how much can I fit into it? 24g how many fish and other life can I get? i really like to full of color look of different things (coral, etc) also thought a seahorse would be cool, can it mix with some simple fish like clown fish (nemo)
3. basically any and all info you can give me is GREATLY appreciated... thanks

dont know what difference is, but there seems to be a few different styles, but im looking at the Aquapod 24gallon tank. I persoanlly like to look of the ones with the "flush" lights and not the one that sticks up in the air, but not sure what difference is and if I need that or not...

http://cgi.ebay.com/CURRENT-USA-24-...ryZ20755QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/AquaPod-12G-54W...ryZ20755QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

WELCOME TO AA!!!

1. is this a good choice for a first tank?

i chose to go with a larger tank, as my first one. The bigger the tank, the easier to recover from mistakes, IMO.

2. how much can I fit into it? 24g how many fish and other life can I get? i really like to full of color look of different things (coral, etc) also thought a seahorse would be cool, can it mix with some simple fish like clown fish (nemo)

I depends on what fish you put in there. You can add inverts (snails, a shrimp, and some other critters). A seahorse should be kept in a species only tank, or with fish that are at least as slow as the seahorse, otherwise it could starve.

3. basically any and all info you can give me is GREATLY appreciated... thanks

Don't cycle the tank with fish. Read, listen and enjoy!

read this on a seahorse site

Tank Mates:
These include but not limited to: blennies, gobies,draganets, mandarins, percula clowns, some butterflys, tangs and wrasses, soft and hard corals, plants.

Clean Up Crew:
These include Nazarus snails, turbo grazers, sea cucumbers, various cleaner shrimps, brittle stars, starfish, and hermit crabs

Read Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" and then decide what you want. Great overview book - except for the outdated references on cycling with fish. I'd try for at least a 40g or so. Can you go bigger?

well tank will go in my office, so I pretty much have unlimited amount of space. I was just thinking of trying something small first to get hang of it and make sure its something I want to do. I dont know from expierence, but have always heard its ALOT of work... so id perfer not to spend the huge investment at first, thats why I was thinking of something small like this where I cant really get too much over my head.

If i did go with something bigger, are there "kits" like this I can get? or is it better to build your own

but have always heard its ALOT of work

I heard this too, but was very surprised at how easy it is....or maybe it was all the advice I got from here that made it easier!

If i did go with something bigger, are there "kits" like this I can get? or is it better to build your own

I think it might be cheaper to build your own set up. You can customize.

im trying to search online without much luck. If I did go with something bigger, it would have to have a pretty nice stand. Wife wont go for one of those solid black or light oak stands. It would have to match the rest of furniture in house and look elegant.

Is there a good place to shop for stands? i would need something in a dark wood color and maybe even something to fancy it up a little other than just a rectangle with square doors. Wife is big into decorating and I know right now she wont go for one of those... would need something a step up from norm....

yet another reason i was looking at aquapod could go on my bookcase or desk or something....

lol, thanks for offer but thats a far drive. Im in DFW, Texas (arlington to be exact)

well guys there is a BRAND NEW aquarium store that just opened up last weekend thats about 3 miles from my work. I just went by there and the guys there are VERY NICE. Talked to the manager there for a good 30 mins and answered every question I could come up with. I hope they last because it seems like could be very helpful that they are right around corner.

Basically they told me I could get the small 24 gallon Aquapod aquarium, 36lbs live rock, 20g saltwater, heater, live sand, therm, hydor flo, minijet 606 - marinela all for $570. And can come to my house and set it up for another $100.

Then I just need some coral and fish. Their store is beautiful. They have a 12g aquapod setup with rock, coral and 4 fish and its amazingly clear and colorful. They also have a large 1000g reef tank that has any and everything u can imagine...

they has some larger 75g+ tanks that I liked the stands, but by time I add up tank, lights, filters, live rock, etc its outta my budget for right now. So i think im gonna go with a smaller tank like the aquapod. Im just debating now what I wanna do with it. I can get the little black stand that goes with it, but it doesnt match my home decor. He said they can custom make me a stand for about $200 out of wood and stain to color of my choice. But im just trying to figure out what I wanna do. Id kinda like to do something like this but not sure how to do it because its 17" deep and walls arent that deep, not sure how it would work... any ideas?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=82360

Be careful listening to aquarium store guys. Be sure to compare what they say to the advice you'll get on this forum. You may find huge discrepancies, and I'd go with the majority opinion here, myself.

Be careful listening to aquarium store guys. Be sure to compare what they say to the advice you'll get on this forum. You may find huge discrepancies, and I'd go with the majority opinion here, myself.

I definitely agree! I get 99.99% of my advice from here.

The real trick is to GO SLOWLY... getting impatient and rushing things generally lead to suffering and death for your new friends. LFS advice is bad more often than not.. feel free to ask as many questions here as you like.

Back
Top Bottom