Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 View Post
Yeah and don't maroons get a bit too big for a 10 gallon anyways?
Yes for sure, my friend had a pair in a 125 and those things are beasts. Female was at least 6" if not slightly bigger. But yeah tank upgrades are not all that difficult and should see a minimal cycle if that when everything gets moved.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just recently started up a 10 gallon fowlr myself so I'll tell you about me experience so you can learn from it.

First off, I researched ALOT so make sure you do yours. I started with 10 lbs of live sand, 5-6 pounds of LR, a power sweep 160 rotating power head, and an Aqueon 10 filter. I later added another 4-5 pounds of rock.

I put a raw shrimp in the tank for 3 weeks and let it start the cycle, mine went along faster than usually since a bought live rock from the start instead of dry. After 3 weeks it added my cleanup crew.
6 astrea snails
3 red legged hermits
1 coral banded shrimp

After another week and a half, I added my first fish. I got an ocellaris clown and he's doing great! After about another 2 weeks, I bought him a little buddy (bangaai cardinal fish) and those to are now bestfriends.

I really didn't have any major mistakes cause I researched a lot but I did lose one fish in the process. My clown and cardinal have been going strong for about a month now though! Hope this helps you see how I did it and can help guide you when you start!

Old 10-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yeah and don't maroons get a bit too big for a 10 gallon anyways?
yes, very big, i have a maroon im taking back for frostbites this week, hes way too mean IMO
Old 10-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, all! So, by the time I get all of my fish, have the tank cycled, etc. It'll end up being around a month...not too bad. Also, what do you mean by the clownfish..."changing sexes"? I could buy two females, and then end up with a tank full of fry?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
i recently did it and its more of a tank shift, use all the old water you can, use new sand, and the same rock, you shouldnt have any die off on the rock so you should be able to add your fish from the old tank in an hr or two once the sand settles and the water clears, its a pretty easy process if you take your time you cant mess it up. as far as the clowns i now maroons are more of a rough-housing clownfish but for the most part clowns are docile if you have a single or a pair, if you have 3 or 4 the dominant pair will kill the other one or two clowns, thats about it. i have a build on a fish only 36g bow front with pics and almost daily updates, i ran skimmer-less because IMO under 40g you dont need one for a fish only. Salty Noobs 37g Bow Front Build..! hope this helps
Looks like it's coming along well!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy410 View Post
Thanks, all! So, by the time I get all of my fish, have the tank cycled, etc. It'll end up being around a month...not too bad. Also, what do you mean by the clownfish..."changing sexes"? I could buy two females, and then end up with a tank full of fry?
When clownfish are fry, they are unsexed. Then they become males, with the exception of one female. Males can later become females, but not vice versa. If you get two females, then they'll kill each other. But if you get two males, one bigger than the other, then yes it's quite possible.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Most clownfish that you buy from the store are not mature and thus all males. Over time if you get two one will grow faster and switch sexes over to a female. In nature clowns are basically all male except for one female, if she dies the next largest male switches over to female. You really can't buy 2 female clowns. And I doubt they will breed but if they do it will probably get eaten. Wikipedia has info all about clownfish behavior in nature and how their sex changing occurs. Very odd fish lol
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Most clownfish that you buy from the store are not mature and thus all males. Over time if you get two one will grow faster and switch sexes over to a female. In nature clowns are basically all male except for one female, if she dies the next largest male switches over to female. You really can't buy 2 female clowns. And I doubt they will breed but if they do it will probably get eaten. Wikipedia has info all about clownfish behavior in nature and how their sex changing occurs. Very odd fish lol
Oh. That explained a lot. But, just so I know what to branch my researching out on, more, should I get an ocellaris or two, or a percula or two? Also, are percula and orange clownfish the same breed?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
When clownfish are fry, they are unsexed. Then they become males, with the exception of one female. Males can later become females, but not vice versa. If you get two females, then they'll kill each other. But if you get two males, one bigger than the other, then yes it's quite possible.
You as well, thanks, that explained a lot to me. The whole concept of changing sexes was confusing me. Also, what do you think I should get, just so I know what to branch out my researching on, Percula or Ocellaris? Also, are Percula and "Orange Clownfish" the same thing, as I printed out a Wikipedia article on them?
Old 10-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
if the conditions are perfect yes you could be knee deep in babies lol

Quote:
when i got my caramel clownfish, they were the same color, same size, everything, then one day i noticed one more of a mocha color and bigger, and now i know theyve paired off and shes such a sweetheart, they sleep cosy together in the same corner every night.

Quote:
Looks like it's coming along well!
thanks i actually swapped to a oceanis systems 46g bow front, and i havent started a build its all the same stuff with different stock and way more room lol

Quote:
Oh. That explained a lot. But, just so I know what to branch my researching out on, more, should I get an ocellaris or two, or a percula or two? Also, are percula and orange clownfish the same breed?
ive heard of people with success in having to species of clowns but just my $0.02 i would say get matching clowns theyll always be together once they pair off and make your tank much prettier to non-aquarists

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com