Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy410 View Post
Oh. That explained a lot. But, just so I know what to branch my researching out on, more, should I get an ocellaris or two, or a percula or two? Also, are percula and orange clownfish the same breed?
Percula clowns get a little larger than ocellaris clowns so I would try and get ocellaris. However do not get 1 percula and 1 ocellaris or they will fight. Do you want a goby as well because if you do I would just get one clown from either species. If not get 2 ocellaris clowns. They interact better in pairs IMO. And both are orange and pretty hard to differentiate but perculas usually get more black to their body than ocellaris. Here's my pair until one just recently jumped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4194710149.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	201664

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Percula clowns get a little larger than ocellaris clowns so I would try and get ocellaris. However do not get 1 percula and 1 ocellaris or they will fight. Do you want a goby as well because if you do I would just get one clown from either species. If not get 2 ocellaris clowns. They interact better in pairs IMO. And both are orange and pretty hard to differentiate but perculas usually get more black to their body than ocellaris. Here's my pair until one just recently jumped.
Jumped? Do you literally mean that they jumped out of the tank? By the way, nice tank And by pairing up, it's like schooling on a smaller scale, right?

Old 10-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
if the conditions are perfect yes you could be knee deep in babies lol when i got my caramel clownfish, they were the same color, same size, everything, then one day i noticed one more of a mocha color and bigger, and now i know theyve paired off and shes such a sweetheart, they sleep cosy together in the same corner every night. thanks i actually swapped to a oceanis systems 46g bow front, and i havent started a build its all the same stuff with different stock and way more room lol ive heard of people with success in having to species of clowns but just my $0.02 i would say get matching clowns theyll always be together once they pair off and make your tank much prettier to non-aquarists
Thanks! Only aquarist in my family is my dad, and apparently an uncle of mine, I don't know who. So I'd love to see two little fish, swimming happily along
Old 10-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Jumped? Do you literally mean that they jumped out of the tank? By the way, nice tank And by pairing up, it's like schooling on a smaller scale, right?
Yes I recently upgraded my pair to a 20 gallon rimless tank and my smaller one went carpet surfing. I found him dried up on the carpet around my tank, very sad. Pairing means that they will form a male, female duo and hang out all the time.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Actually that's not completely true but in this situation it is. Perculas and ocellaris (false perculas) are actually known to cross breed and make some beautiful species. But that requires a bigger tank just in case, so you're right. beautiful fish by the way.

Also, thought I'd ask since it hasn't really been touched upon, are you planning a nano reef? That's my specialty in saltwater. I'm more of a coral guy.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 View Post
Actually that's not completely true but in this situation it is. Perculas and ocellaris (false perculas) are actually known to cross breed and make some beautiful species. But that requires a bigger tank just in case, so you're right. beautiful fish by the way.

Also, thought I'd ask since it hasn't really been touched upon, are you planning a nano reef? That's my specialty in saltwater. I'm more of a coral guy.
Thanks about the clowns they are awesome fish, very weird but very awesome! True lol but I figured since it was only a 10 I wouldn't even tempt her with 2 different species of clowns. Also, more of a coral fan here as well!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wait a minute- will I still have to go through the cycling process, although I am buying pre-mixed water?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Wait a minute- will I still have to go through the cycling process, although I am buying pre-mixed water?
Yes most bacteria isn't in the water column, but on the rocks and substrate. The pre mixed waiter is just their ro/di water mixed with salt, so it's just like taking it from the tap and adding salt only much better if you don't have an ro system. Definite yes.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 View Post
Yes most bacteria isn't in the water column, but on the rocks and substrate. The pre mixed waiter is just their ro/di water mixed with salt, so it's just like taking it from the tap and adding salt only much better if you don't have an ro system. Definite yes.
Also, I was talking, and apparently, I don't need to fully cycle the tank, if I have live rock, coral, live sand, and pre-mixed freshwater. I would just put in a hardy fish and a cleaning shrimp, or just a shrimp, and wait...wouldn't a shrimp from the supermarket rot?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Also, I was talking, and apparently, I don't need to fully cycle the tank, if I have live rock, coral, live sand, and pre-mixed freshwater. I would just put in a hardy fish and a cleaning shrimp, or just a shrimp, and wait...wouldn't a shrimp from the supermarket rot?
All live things (rock and sand) is a great route. But the mini cycle could permanently scar a hardy fish with ammonia burns and shortens it's life span drastically. The rotting shrimp is what makes it cycle! That's what creates the ammonia! If you really don't want to put anything in the tank, then put all the live sand and rock in, and after a day test your parameters. After the ammonia and nitrites are mostly down, put a clownfish in. Then do water changes EVERY DAY. This method isn't very ethical if I could say, but it works. I really recommend the shrimp. Remember cutting corners and being impatient will come back to you later.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com