Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Activist

My family is really getting "into" this fish idea, and now we are debating around the tank sizes and where to put them, jumping from a 10 gallon, to a 16 biorb, to a 36 half moon, to a monstrous tank. Since I have a lot of clownfish and small tank info, what would be some things for larger tanks? I have a few questions about anemone, reef, and coral as well. First of all, how do I reply to multiple posts at once? I'm using the app, by the way.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy410 View Post
My family is really getting "into" this fish idea, and now we are debating around the tank sizes and where to put them, jumping from a 10 gallon, to a 16 biorb, to a 36 half moon, to a monstrous tank. Since I have a lot of clownfish and small tank info, what would be some things for larger tanks? I have a few questions about anemone, reef, and coral as well. First of all, how do I reply to multiple posts at once? I'm using the app, by the way.
I'm on the app too and haven't figured that out yet lol. For a 36 gallon you are probably looking at the clownfish pair plus 2-3 smaller fish like gobies, blennies, jawfish, cardinal fish, bassletts, small wrasses, chromis, fire fish, maybe Pygmy angelfish. No tangs, angels, foxface, or butterflyfish, puffers, triggerfish, etc... Bring on your reef/anemone questions

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
I'm on the app too and haven't figured that out yet lol. For a 36 gallon you are probably looking at the clownfish pair plus 2-3 smaller fish like gobies, blennies, jawfish, cardinal fish, bassletts, small wrasses, chromis, fire fish, maybe Pygmy angelfish. No tangs, angels, foxface, or butterflyfish, puffers, triggerfish, etc... Bring on your reef/anemone questions
+1
Nice suggestions. I agree. If I were to upgrade to a medium tank I would go with mostly small fish and more of them. Some people like a few larger fish but I love lots of small ones. I would get a pair of clowns, a firefish, and a small school of bangaii cardinals. No wrasse though, they can be a little messy and should stay in 50 gallon minimum. But I like to under stock my tanks and fill them with coral. So it could work for some. After all, my 10 gallon nano has over 15 coral species and one clownfish. But he'll be upgraded to a 90 soon, so for a week or so he'll feel like he's the only fish in the ocean.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 View Post
+1
Nice suggestions. I agree. If I were to upgrade to a medium tank I would go with mostly small fish and more of them. Some people like a few larger fish but I love lots of small ones. I would get a pair of clowns, a firefish, and a small school of bangaii cardinals. No wrasse though, they can be a little messy and should stay in 50 gallon minimum. But I like to under stock my tanks and fill them with coral. So it could work for some. After all, my 10 gallon nano has over 15 coral species and one clownfish. But he'll be upgraded to a 90 soon, so for a week or so he'll feel like he's the only fish in the ocean.
x2 on those suggestions and you can have a six-line wrasse and a pair of clowns, and depending if you want a fish only or a reef, you can get a dwarf angel like a coral beauty or a flame angel or a blenny as well for more color like a canary blenny or a midas blenny.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Welcome, I hope you found your answers. You probably did, this is a great forum. I didnt read through the entire conversation but I did have a suggestion on a smaller tank. You could possibly look at the bio and nano cubes they are pretty nice. As for fish to go in it you are limited, but there are possibilities. You can get a clown in a to gallon maybe even a pair. You should look into smaller gobies, like the watchman goby and buy a pistol shrimp the have s nice relationship the burrow holes and live together. The goby has great eyes and pretty sees for both and the shrimp digs burrows to live in. Its really nice to see, usually kinda of hard to find them in larger tank because they are pretty small. Hope this. Helps
Old 10-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy410 View Post
Dont get an anenome, they will nuke your tank if they die and will sting other corals not to mention they can uproot from the location and move around.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wait until X-mas and get at least a 55 gallon tank Plan on spending $10-25 a gallon to set up any tank, low end ($10gl.) is a FOWLR high end ($25gl.) is a full blown SPS reef. Save the 10gl for a QT tank.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Wait until X-mas and get at least a 55 gallon tank Plan on spending $10-25 a gallon to set up any tank, low end ($10gl.) is a FOWLR high end ($25gl.) is a full blown SPS reef. Save the 10gl for a QT tank.
Well for all the set up fees its gonna cost about 30-40$ per gallon. Think about it. Live rock, live sand, lighting, stock, RODI system, filtration, skimmer, and additional supplies. (test kits,food, hydrometer, nets, salt,ect...) im not trying disincorage anyone but welcome to the money pit!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Live rock and live sand are not needed Base rock and dry sand becomes live over time big savings right there. You can get buy with the basic test kit to start as all you'll need to test for are ammo, nitrItes and nritrAtes I agree this hobby is costly My wife calls my tank "The 235 gallon wallet"

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldnt choose a 55. Either a biocube if you want something small. If larger than the 28gal bio or nano cube get some type of breeder tank 30 or 40. Then go to 75 90 then any size. This will give you an 18 inches in width which is way better than the 12inches in a 55. And it can be cheaper depending on what you want and where you get it. Dry sand and dry rock is fraction of live rock and sand. With live stuff you will always get the added water weight that you pay for. Which your tank cycles quicker thats good but this can also allow un-wanted pests to get in your tank. Dry rock is safe, takes longer to cure, cheaper, and also saves the reefs in the ocean from being destroyed for reefers. To me all this live stuff isnt worth the extra cost. Buy your dry rock and sand seed it with a couple pounds of live rock and your good to go. This helps you grow inyo the hobby as well from starting from the very basic. Price changes from person to person depending on what you want. This person could have a cheap t5 the next person can have radions or metal halides. Im not saying t5s are cheap but there are some t5s cheaper than other like on ebay. Or ebay leds vs radions. This goes for all your equipment. You can sometimes get great deals on craigslist. Or join a local or state forum. For example, I live in kentucky we have a forum called "Big Blue Reef" this helps because there are usually local people getting rid of unwanted or used items.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com