New 10 Gallon Saltwater Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katy410

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! I'm new to these forums, so if I'm not quite "going with the flow" of these communities, then pardon me.
First of all, this will be my first tank. My dad has lots of freshwater experience, and I, myself, have kept betas. But I'm looking to step into something deeper. I was considering freshwater, but then, my family and I went to my local fish store(Ocean Gallery II, if you must know), and they have a nice selection of freshwater, but also a great selection of marine. After knowing exactly what I wanted for freshwater, we skimmed the marine shelves, and then asked if it was too much worse. The employees said that it wasn't too bad, but small aquariums were a bit harder to maintain. Dad had some friends who had large saltwater aquariums, but couldn't maintain them. But they couldn't maintain their wives either, so that's probably saying something...(LOL!). So, I then got hooked on the beautiful, interesting, liveness of saltwater tanks. And that les me here.
My plan is this:
Get a small tank now,
Then if I enjoy fish keeping/saltwater,
I'll get a large aquarium for Christmas.
Sounds good?
Hope so.

That led me here.
Now, what would I need for saltwater?
I am buying pre-mixed saltwater, from the LFS(From what I have seen, that's this forums "lingo", I hope.) and am wondering, do I need to cycle it like I would a freshwater tank? If so, what materials/chemicals are needed? Next, I am getting some of the flooring in my house stained, and this should take about a week. If I were to buy a 10 gallon tank during the process, would the smell of the flooring kill the fish/infect the water? I am staying with my neighbors, just FYI. And if I were to buy everything, would a quick drive up the block harm the fish in any way?
Where I live, we can get power outages at random. What do I do, if that happens? Or let's say we get another Sandy, with 2 week power outages. What do I do? And now, to the fish.
I would love a clownfish or two, probably ocellaris, or percula; whatever you all say is better, just list their habits, needs, sizes, personalities, etc. And maybe a goby or two; as well. What breed would you recommend? What should I buy for the tanks? What species of fish do you recommend? And also, tell me anything else I need to know. Here is a run through of questions to make it easier on you all to answer.....

1.What do I need for a 10 gallon, saltwater, tank?

2.Do I/what do I need/how do I cycle a saltwater tank?

3.Would the scent of the floors being stained be toxic for the little fish?

4.If I were to buy everything while at my neighbors, would a quick drive up the block harm the fish/ tank in any way? If so, what way(s)?

5.What do I do during a power outage?

6.If I were to get a clownfish, how many, what breed, etc. Should I get? Also, what do I need to know about clownfish?

7.Do clownfish need anemone?

8.Can I have a goby, as well? If so, what species?

9.What should I buy for the tank?

10. What species of fish do you recommend?

11.Can I have a clownfish, and a goby, together, with maybe a cleaner shrimp of sorts?

12. What little shrimp/fish to be tank cleaners should I get?

13. What else do I need to know about Saltwater/Saltwater Fish/Saltwater tanks?

14. What are some things that I don't need to know about clownfish/gobies/saltwater fish/saltwater tanks that I should know?

Thanks!

~Katy

P.S. Is there anything about this forum that I should know?

Hi! I'm new to these forums, so if I'm not quite "going with the flow" of these communities, then pardon me. First of all, this will be my first tank. My dad has lots of freshwater experience, and I, myself, have kept betas. But I'm looking to step into something deeper. I was considering freshwater, but then, my family and I went to my local fish store(Ocean Gallery II, if you must know), and they have a nice selection of freshwater, but also a great selection of marine. After knowing exactly what I wanted for freshwater, we skimmed the marine shelves, and then asked if it was too much worse. The employees said that it wasn't too bad, but small aquariums were a bit harder to maintain. Dad had some friends who had large saltwater aquariums, but couldn't maintain them. But they couldn't maintain their wives either, so that's probably saying something...(LOL!). So, I then got hooked on the beautiful, interesting, liveness of saltwater tanks. And that les me here. My plan is this: Get a small tank now, Then if I enjoy fish keeping/saltwater, I'll get a large aquarium for Christmas. Sounds good? Hope so. That led me here. Now, what would I need for saltwater? I am buying pre-mixed saltwater, from the LFS(From what I have seen, that's this forums "lingo", I hope.) and am wondering, do I need to cycle it like I would a freshwater tank? If so, what materials/chemicals are needed? Next, I am getting some of the flooring in my house stained, and this should take about a week. If I were to buy a 10 gallon tank during the process, would the smell of the flooring kill the fish/infect the water? I am staying with my neighbors, just FYI. And if I were to buy everything, would a quick drive up the block harm the fish in any way? Where I live, we can get power outages at random. What do I do, if that happens? Or let's say we get another Sandy, with 2 week power outages. What do I do? And now, to the fish. I would love a clownfish or two, probably ocellaris, or percula; whatever you all say is better, just list their habits, needs, sizes, personalities, etc. And maybe a goby or two; as well. What breed would you recommend? What should I buy for the tanks? What species of fish do you recommend? And also, tell me anything else I need to know. Here is a run through of questions to make it easier on you all to answer..... 1.What do I need for a 10 gallon, saltwater, tank? 2.Do I/what do I need/how do I cycle a saltwater tank? 3.Would the scent of the floors being stained be toxic for the little fish? 4.If I were to buy everything while at my neighbors, would a quick drive up the block harm the fish/ tank in any way? If so, what way(s)? 5.What do I do during a power outage? 6.If I were to get a clownfish, how many, what breed, etc. Should I get? Also, what do I need to know about clownfish? 7.Do clownfish need anemone? 8.Can I have a goby, as well? If so, what species? 9.What should I buy for the tank? 10. What species of fish do you recommend? 11.Can I have a clownfish, and a goby, together, with maybe a cleaner shrimp of sorts? 12. What little shrimp/fish to be tank cleaners should I get? 13. What else do I need to know about Saltwater/Saltwater Fish/Saltwater tanks? 14. What are some things that I don't need to know about clownfish/gobies/saltwater fish/saltwater tanks that I should know? Thanks! ~Katy P.S. Is there anything about this forum that I should know?
1) Firstly- reef or fowlr (fish only with live rock)? With a reef you're going to need extensive filtration and flow, where as with a fowlr you just need extensive filtration and some flow. With a tank that small id recommend an hob (hang on the back) filter for a 50-75 gallon tank. That adds extra filtration just in case. Also you'll need a power head or two for flow.
2) I use pure ammonia. Same as freshwater. Don't bother with chemicals other than water conditioners. Do it naturally. :cool:
3) yes and no. Be sure not to keep in the same room. It's not the scent that's toxic but the fumes can interfere with gas exchange if they build on the top of the tank. I'd imagine it could kill them also if in the water, but I'm not entirely sure.
4) well it sounds like you're trying to buy everything right away. With saltwater patience is the key. First get your tank, some dead rock, and ammonia source. Or you could get all live rock, wait for the mini cycle from die off, and then add livestock. For all of my tanks I buy all dead rock, do the cycle, add some seeding live rock, wait for the mini cycle, and add my first fish. So get the tank, rock, and sand first then wait for decorations. Ask your LFS their opinion on live rock and live sand, or starting clean.
5) ah this is the "fun" (stressful) part of storms. Imagine relaxing, watching your tank during a storm when BOOM. The power goes out. For mine I have mini battery operated generator for an airstone and then the heater. Plug in the airstone, put it in, and plug in the heater. Then turn it on. Walla! A temporary home. With a small tank you definitely need to keep the tank warm especially if it's a reef because fluctuations are bad.
6) I don't recommend a clownfish for a 10 gallon. Go to Liveaquaria.com and look at the nano section. All the fish capable for 10 gallons you can get. Clownfish get too big for a 10z
7) no, and again I don't recommend a clownfish. Also, all of the anemones that would host a clownfish get far too big for a 10 gallon.
8) I love gobies! Of course get a goby! My stocking suggestion would be one firefish and a goby of your desire. Check liveaquaria for a breed you like. That's it for a 10 gallon.
9)sand, rock, power heads, filtration, heating, and salt. :D salt is the most obvious of the bunch :D
10) Like I said, a firefish. But gobies can really differ as to personal desire for color and personality. So you can choose on that one!
11)Again, no clownfish. But skunk cleaners are beautiful additions and I'd recommend them. Invertebrates and corals are usually the main showcase for a small tank like that, so go for it!
12)hermit crabs are great, so are snails, peppermint shrimp are good cleanup shrimp, and that's really all I'd get for a small tank. Cleanup crew suggestion:
3 dwarf red tip hermit crabs
2-4 cerith snails
1-2 peppermint shrimp or cleaner shrimp.
I'd pick one or the other on shrimp. In my experience, those two breeds don't get along. Although maybe I've just had bad luck.
13) PATIENCE! If you haven't learned it yet, you definitely will. I mean it on this one. :) unlike freshwater, if you try to avoid this rule your whole tank could crash. Also remember weekly water changes. It's very important. Hmmm... What else... YOU MUST ENJOY YOUR TANK! :) :D :cool: this one is easy if you keep up with regular maintenance and follow all the steps to make your fish happy.
14) IMO (in my opinion) you should learn everything you can. Before I got my first saltwater tank I researched more than I ate! The more you know the better off you are.

What you should know about AA ( Aquarium Advice) is that the majority of us are helpful individuals. Be sure that when you are no longer a newbie and you have some experience under your belt to pass it on to newcomers! It's what keeps this forum running! We were all once beginners. It's funny to think that some of the popular names on this sate were once looking up "what's a cycle" on google! Also try to learn the acronyms. It took me a few months but you'll get it eventually. Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Hey Katy. Welcome to Aquarium Advice!
I started off with a 10 gallon saltwater tank as well so I can try and answer most of your questions for you.
1. You will need a 10 gallon aquarium, powerhead (I used a koralia nano 240 gph), heater, hob filter, salt mix (Instant Ocean is a good cheap salt), around 10-12 lbs of live rock, 10 lbs of aragonite based sand and a light. I'll get more into lighting in a bit.
2.In order to cycle a saltwater tank get your water mixed and into the tank at a specific gravity of 1.024-1.026 and temperature of 78 degrees. Then add your sand, live rock and filter. You can add a raw shrimp from the supermarket to start the cycle. Then test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. The cycle should take anywhere from 3 weeks to a little over a month. Then it will be safe to add fish/inverts.
3. I would think it would as the chemicals could leach to the water from the air. But I am not positive.
4.Are you talking about setting it up at your neighbors and then once the floors are done being stained move it back to your place? If so you can move it but I would not add any livestock until you have it set back up at your house and you make sure the tank is still cycled.
5.Buy a small backup generator.
6.In a 10 gallon tank you could possibly do a pair of percula or occelaris clownfish but that would be it for stocking fish wise. Most clownfish you buy from pet stores are very young so they are all still males. If/when you buy two and they become a pair, one will grow larger than the other and switch sexes over to a female.
7.No clownfish absolutely do not need an anemone, they use one in the wild as it is for protection. In the home aquarium we are not sticking clowns with huge predatory fish that will eat them so the nem isn't required. Also anemones need intense lighting and perfect water quality so they aren't even something that should be added unless you have a good light source and your tank is 6 months to a year old. Certain corals will be hosted by clownfish and are some even look like anemones.
8.If you want a goby I would just do 1 clownfish and the goby. Some good gobies are yellow watchman gobies, neon gobies, hi fin red banded gobies, yasha gobies, and clown gobies. Stay away from mandarin gobies/scotter blennies as they are not actually gobies but dragonettes and require very specific diets.
9.See #1
10.I had a pair of occelaris clowns in my 10 and they were in there about 6 months before they got upgraded to a 20. I would get a watchman goby with tiger pistol shrimp and a clown.
11.As above yes you can do the clown and goby but that's it for fish. You could do a cleaner shrimp along with hermit crabs, snails and other various small inverts.
12.For cleaners I would get a standard clean up crew of astrea snails, blue leg or red leg hermits, cerith snails and maybe an emerald crab to all eat various pest algae. Shrimp should be added after the clean up crew as they are more sensitive.
13.Go slow, nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Also, use RO/DI water from the start as it will save you from nasty algae outbreaks. You can usually buy it from pet stores for cheap. You also cannot stock a saltwater tank like a freshwater tank. Not nearly as many fish.
14. You will hear talk about protein skimmers but in my opinion you do not need one for such a small tank as normal weekly-biweekly water changes will keep all your levels down.

Hope this helps and just ask if you have any other questions! Once again welcome to aquarium advice!

1) Firstly- reef or fowlr (fish only with live rock)? With a reef you're going to need extensive filtration and flow, where as with a fowlr you just need extensive filtration and some flow. With a tank that small id recommend an hob (hang on the back) filter for a 50-75 gallon tank. That adds extra filtration just in case. Also you'll need a power head or two for flow. 2) I use pure ammonia. Same as freshwater. Don't bother with chemicals other than water conditioners. Do it naturally. :cool: 3) yes and no. Be sure not to keep in the same room. It's not the scent that's toxic but the fumes can interfere with gas exchange if they build on the top of the tank. I'd imagine it could kill them also if in the water, but I'm not entirely sure. 4) well it sounds like you're trying to buy everything right away. With saltwater patience is the key. First get your tank, some dead rock, and ammonia source. Or you could get all live rock, wait for the mini cycle from die off, and then add livestock. For all of my tanks I buy all dead rock, do the cycle, add some seeding live rock, wait for the mini cycle, and add my first fish. So get the tank, rock, and sand first then wait for decorations. Ask your LFS their opinion on live rock and live sand, or starting clean. 5) ah this is the "fun" (stressful) part of storms. Imagine relaxing, watching your tank during a storm when BOOM. The power goes out. For mine I have mini battery operated generator for an airstone and then the heater. Plug in the airstone, put it in, and plug in the heater. Then turn it on. Walla! A temporary home. With a small tank you definitely need to keep the tank warm especially if it's a reef because fluctuations are bad. 6) I don't recommend a clownfish for a 10 gallon. Go to Liveaquaria.com and look at the nano section. All the fish capable for 10 gallons you can get. Clownfish get too big for a 10z 7) no, and again I don't recommend a clownfish. Also, all of the anemones that would host a clownfish get far too big for a 10 gallon. 8) I love gobies! Of course get a goby! My stocking suggestion would be one firefish and a goby of your desire. Check liveaquaria for a breed you like. That's it for a 10 gallon. 9)sand, rock, power heads, filtration, heating, and salt. :D salt is the most obvious of the bunch :D 10) Like I said, a firefish. But gobies can really differ as to personal desire for color and personality. So you can choose on that one! 11)Again, no clownfish. But skunk cleaners are beautiful additions and I'd recommend them. Invertebrates and corals are usually the main showcase for a small tank like that, so go for it! 12)hermit crabs are great, so are snails, peppermint shrimp are good cleanup shrimp, and that's really all I'd get for a small tank. Cleanup crew suggestion: 3 dwarf red tip hermit crabs 2-4 cerith snails 1-2 peppermint shrimp or cleaner shrimp. I'd pick one or the other on shrimp. In my experience, those two breeds don't get along. Although maybe I've just had bad luck. 13) PATIENCE! If you haven't learned it yet, you definitely will. I mean it on this one. :) unlike freshwater, if you try to avoid this rule your whole tank could crash. Also remember weekly water changes. It's very important. Hmmm... What else... YOU MUST ENJOY YOUR TANK! :) :D :cool: this one is easy if you keep up with regular maintenance and follow all the steps to make your fish happy. 14) IMO (in my opinion) you should learn everything you can. Before I got my first saltwater tank I researched more than I ate! The more you know the better off you are. What you should know about AA ( Aquarium Advice) is that the majority of us are helpful individuals. Be sure that when you are no longer a newbie and you have some experience under your belt to pass it on to newcomers! It's what keeps this forum running! We were all once beginners. It's funny to think that some of the popular names on this sate were once looking up "what's a cycle" on google! Also try to learn the acronyms. It took me a few months but you'll get it eventually. Don't be afraid to ask questions!
Thanks a ton! I may just be patient and set it up back at my place, as the tank could be 100 pounds or so, and that may be a bit tricky to move. But, that's great advice, thanks! ;D

Hey Katy. Welcome to Aquarium Advice! I started off with a 10 gallon saltwater tank as well so I can try and answer most of your questions for you. 1. You will need a 10 gallon aquarium, powerhead (I used a koralia nano 240 gph), heater, hob filter, salt mix (Instant Ocean is a good cheap salt), around 10-12 lbs of live rock, 10 lbs of aragonite based sand and a light. I'll get more into lighting in a bit. 2.In order to cycle a saltwater tank get your water mixed and into the tank at a specific gravity of 1.024-1.026 and temperature of 78 degrees. Then add your sand, live rock and filter. You can add a raw shrimp from the supermarket to start the cycle. Then test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. The cycle should take anywhere from 3 weeks to a little over a month. Then it will be safe to add fish/inverts. 3. I would think it would as the chemicals could leach to the water from the air. But I am not positive. 4.Are you talking about setting it up at your neighbors and then once the floors are done being stained move it back to your place? If so you can move it but I would not add any livestock until you have it set back up at your house and you make sure the tank is still cycled. 5.Buy a small backup generator. 6.In a 10 gallon tank you could possibly do a pair of percula or occelaris clownfish but that would be it for stocking fish wise. Most clownfish you buy from pet stores are very young so they are all still males. If/when you buy two and they become a pair, one will grow larger than the other and switch sexes over to a female. 7.No clownfish absolutely do not need an anemone, they use one in the wild as it is for protection. In the home aquarium we are not sticking clowns with huge predatory fish that will eat them so the nem isn't required. Also anemones need intense lighting and perfect water quality so they aren't even something that should be added unless you have a good light source and your tank is 6 months to a year old. Certain corals will be hosted by clownfish and are some even look like anemones. 8.If you want a goby I would just do 1 clownfish and the goby. Some good gobies are yellow watchman gobies, neon gobies, hi fin red banded gobies, yasha gobies, and clown gobies. Stay away from mandarin gobies/scotter blennies as they are not actually gobies but dragonettes and require very specific diets. 9.See #1 10.I had a pair of occelaris clowns in my 10 and they were in there about 6 months before they got upgraded to a 20. I would get a watchman goby with tiger pistol shrimp and a clown. 11.As above yes you can do the clown and goby but that's it for fish. You could do a cleaner shrimp along with hermit crabs, snails and other various small inverts. 12.For cleaners I would get a standard clean up crew of astrea snails, blue leg or red leg hermits, cerith snails and maybe an emerald crab to all eat various pest algae. Shrimp should be added after the clean up crew as they are more sensitive. 13.Go slow, nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Also, use RO/DI water from the start as it will save you from nasty algae outbreaks. You can usually buy it from pet stores for cheap. You also cannot stock a saltwater tank like a freshwater tank. Not nearly as many fish. 14. You will hear talk about protein skimmers but in my opinion you do not need one for such a small tank as normal weekly-biweekly water changes will keep all your levels down. Hope this helps and just ask if you have any other questions! Once again welcome to aquarium advice!
Thanks to you, as well! The community is very friendly, and I am staying. In the time being, until the floors are stained, I'll be researching quite a bit. Thanks for telling me a bit about clownfish; I've always wanted my own little "Nemo" since the movie came out. I have one question, still. About, what should the nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia levels be?

Yes just be sure to do water changes frequently. I do a 20% weekly plus in addition I do another 10% biweekly. In actuality I have a clownfish in my 10, but I don't recommend it until you get some experience. First get your other fish, and then the clownfish. That way you'll have experience. :)

Ah ;D I've heard that clownfish can get...aggressive? Is that true? Also, as I'm getting a bigger tank for Christmas, can I use the small tank's filter as a "seed" for the bigger tank's cycle? I think it's going to be 36 gallon.

Ah ;D I've heard that clownfish can get...aggressive? Is that true? Also, as I'm getting a bigger tank for Christmas, can I use the small tank's filter as a "seed" for the bigger tank's cycle? I think it's going to be 36 gallon.

i recently did it and its more of a tank shift, use all the old water you can, use new sand, and the same rock, you shouldnt have any die off on the rock so you should be able to add your fish from the old tank in an hr or two once the sand settles and the water clears, its a pretty easy process if you take your time you cant mess it up.

as far as the clowns i now maroons are more of a rough-housing clownfish but for the most part clowns are docile if you have a single or a pair, if you have 3 or 4 the dominant pair will kill the other one or two clowns, thats about it. i have a build on a fish only 36g bow front with pics and almost daily updates, i ran skimmer-less because IMO under 40g you dont need one for a fish only.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/salty-noobs-37g-bow-front-build-273715.html

hope this helps (y)

i recently did it and its more of a tank shift, use all the old water you can, use new sand, and the same rock, you shouldnt have any die off on the rock so you should be able to add your fish from the old tank in an hr or two once the sand settles and the water clears, its a pretty easy process if you take your time you cant mess it up. as far as the clowns i now maroons are more of a rough-housing clownfish but for the most part clowns are docile if you have a single or a pair, if you have 3 or 4 the dominant pair will kill the other one or two clowns, thats about it. i have a build on a fish only 36g bow front with pics and almost daily updates, i ran skimmer-less because IMO under 40g you dont need one for a fish only. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/salty-noobs-37g-bow-front-build-273715.html hope this helps (y)
Yeah and don't maroons get a bit too big for a 10 gallon anyways?

Yeah and don't maroons get a bit too big for a 10 gallon anyways?

Yes for sure, my friend had a pair in a 125 and those things are beasts. Female was at least 6" if not slightly bigger. But yeah tank upgrades are not all that difficult and should see a minimal cycle if that when everything gets moved.

I just recently started up a 10 gallon fowlr myself so I'll tell you about me experience so you can learn from it.

First off, I researched ALOT so make sure you do yours. I started with 10 lbs of live sand, 5-6 pounds of LR, a power sweep 160 rotating power head, and an Aqueon 10 filter. I later added another 4-5 pounds of rock.

I put a raw shrimp in the tank for 3 weeks and let it start the cycle, mine went along faster than usually since a bought live rock from the start instead of dry. After 3 weeks it added my cleanup crew.
6 astrea snails
3 red legged hermits
1 coral banded shrimp

After another week and a half, I added my first fish. I got an ocellaris clown and he's doing great! After about another 2 weeks, I bought him a little buddy (bangaai cardinal fish) and those to are now bestfriends.

I really didn't have any major mistakes cause I researched a lot but I did lose one fish in the process. My clown and cardinal have been going strong for about a month now though! Hope this helps you see how I did it and can help guide you when you start! :)

Thanks, all! So, by the time I get all of my fish, have the tank cycled, etc. It'll end up being around a month...not too bad. Also, what do you mean by the clownfish..."changing sexes"? I could buy two females, and then end up with a tank full of fry?

i recently did it and its more of a tank shift, use all the old water you can, use new sand, and the same rock, you shouldnt have any die off on the rock so you should be able to add your fish from the old tank in an hr or two once the sand settles and the water clears, its a pretty easy process if you take your time you cant mess it up. as far as the clowns i now maroons are more of a rough-housing clownfish but for the most part clowns are docile if you have a single or a pair, if you have 3 or 4 the dominant pair will kill the other one or two clowns, thats about it. i have a build on a fish only 36g bow front with pics and almost daily updates, i ran skimmer-less because IMO under 40g you dont need one for a fish only. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/salty-noobs-37g-bow-front-build-273715.html hope this helps (y)
Looks like it's coming along well! :D

Thanks, all! So, by the time I get all of my fish, have the tank cycled, etc. It'll end up being around a month...not too bad. Also, what do you mean by the clownfish..."changing sexes"? I could buy two females, and then end up with a tank full of fry?
When clownfish are fry, they are unsexed. Then they become males, with the exception of one female. Males can later become females, but not vice versa. If you get two females, then they'll kill each other. But if you get two males, one bigger than the other, then yes it's quite possible.

Most clownfish that you buy from the store are not mature and thus all males. Over time if you get two one will grow faster and switch sexes over to a female. In nature clowns are basically all male except for one female, if she dies the next largest male switches over to female. You really can't buy 2 female clowns. And I doubt they will breed but if they do it will probably get eaten. Wikipedia has info all about clownfish behavior in nature and how their sex changing occurs. Very odd fish lol

Most clownfish that you buy from the store are not mature and thus all males. Over time if you get two one will grow faster and switch sexes over to a female. In nature clowns are basically all male except for one female, if she dies the next largest male switches over to female. You really can't buy 2 female clowns. And I doubt they will breed but if they do it will probably get eaten. Wikipedia has info all about clownfish behavior in nature and how their sex changing occurs. Very odd fish lol
Oh. That explained a lot. But, just so I know what to branch my researching out on, more, should I get an ocellaris or two, or a percula or two? Also, are percula and orange clownfish the same breed?

When clownfish are fry, they are unsexed. Then they become males, with the exception of one female. Males can later become females, but not vice versa. If you get two females, then they'll kill each other. But if you get two males, one bigger than the other, then yes it's quite possible.
You as well, thanks, that explained a lot to me. The whole concept of changing sexes was confusing me. Also, what do you think I should get, just so I know what to branch out my researching on, Percula or Ocellaris? Also, are Percula and "Orange Clownfish" the same thing, as I printed out a Wikipedia article on them?

if the conditions are perfect yes you could be knee deep in babies lol :facepalm:

when i got my caramel clownfish, they were the same color, same size, everything, then one day i noticed one more of a mocha color and bigger, and now i know theyve paired off and shes such a sweetheart, they sleep cosy together in the same corner every night.

Looks like it's coming along well! :D

thanks i actually swapped to a oceanis systems 46g bow front, and i havent started a build its all the same stuff with different stock and way more room lol (y)

Oh. That explained a lot. But, just so I know what to branch my researching out on, more, should I get an ocellaris or two, or a percula or two? Also, are percula and orange clownfish the same breed?

ive heard of people with success in having to species of clowns but just my $0.02 i would say get matching clowns theyll always be together once they pair off and make your tank much prettier to non-aquarists :D

Back
Top Bottom