new 10 gallon set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday I filled my 10 gallon. The salinity was 1.026, I adjusted that down to 1.025 this morning. The water is still not clear. It is the color that tannen has when driftwood is added to a fresh water tank. It is clearer today than yesterday and there are no particles floating around anymore. I assume the water will be totally clear in a couple of days. If you think there is something I should do about this, let me know.

My substrate is sand that was rinsed completely when first used and has been in a freshwater tank for about a year. I let it dry before refilling the tank with saltwater yesterday.

I have a korolia 240 powerhead and HOB filter with a regenerated purigen bag in the basket.

I wanted my temp to be 79. But even with the heater off it is at 81 or 82. The heater kept turning on when the temp was 82 so I turned it off to see what would happen. Is there anything I should do about this, or will 81 be okay? One of the fish I am considering is a firefish so I have the top pretty well covered.

I have a few days for things to settle before I plan to get my live rock next week. I just wanted to check on the water color and temp conditions right now. Thanks!

Temp looks fine. I'd be worried about that sand harboring excess nitrates since it has been previously used. It's hard to get all the waste of of a substrate once it has been used.

What does your pH sit at? You want to aim around 8.0

Caleb

I was somewhat concerned about the reused sand as well. I am going to take the set up very slowly to see what happens. My thought, right or wrong, is that leftover waste in the sand will decompose and be part of the cycle of the salt tank? Would it be better to stir it up, or just leave it alone?

I don't have my first params yet. I am going to have LFS doing water tests for me for quite a while so I won't have my numbers until next week when I go to have my water tested and get live rock.

Well parameters are even more important in a salt tank. Fish and inverts are much less forgiving. I'd try and get a liquid test kit as soon as possible especially so you can monitor your cycle progress.

Caleb

If I have my own test kit I would be testing day and night and having no patience for the cycle. I made myself crazy with my fresh tanks doing it myself. For the cycle on the salt tank I decided to visit the LFS every two weeks or so and let them do my testing for now. That way I will have my water tested each time right before buying a critter or fish and will take more time in between adding animals. Also I will have a water test in between in each time buying something to make sure things are settling.

Once I get done with my initial plan (about 5 months for 3 crabs, one fish, and a shrimp) I will see about getting my own test kits again.

There's nothing wrong with daily testing. It's very important in a newly established tank.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom