Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2003, 01:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to bbaughman
New 10 gallon Tank

Hello everyone! First off just want to say hello to everyone. My name is Bryan and I am a new member here.

I have a 10 gallon tank that I got for X-mas last year, and had it up and running just fine until about June of 03. The tanks crashed..Well like an idiot I just shut down the tank, and drained it all..Well now I have it up and running again. Has been through the cycle and had it tested at the Local Fish Store.

My tank has crushed coral as a base, and some live rock in it. I just added two tomato clown fish to it on Friday of last week. Now I am about to go and buy some more cured Live Rock at the fish store in towm, and purchase a power head so I can get some more movement in my tank. Now my question is..What kind of lighting should I go with (metal hilide?) sorry about the spelling. But im wanting to be able to add some coral, and some other stuff that needs high light...But what would be the best for a 10 gallon tank, and what do you all recomend..My tank currently has a temp of 81 degrees, and changes about 2 degrees a day. It is away from direct sunlight as well.. Sorry if this message is all over the place...

Bryan
[/code]

Old 09-09-2003, 02:40 PM   #2
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
Ah Bryan, hate to break the news to you, but a 10G tank is much too small to establish and run a marine tank. Maybe some other veterans can add to this, but especially if you want to create a reef aquarium, you need to look at least at a 30-40G at a minimum. Then comes all of the other equipment: lighting, skimmer, etc. Make sure that you can make this committment, rather than trying to do this with the 10G and having it crash again in no time, killing everything in it. Problem is that with that small a water quantity, it is next to impossible to maintain the water quality you need for a reef system. HTH, 8) any other opinions anyone??

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 02:40 PM   #3

go to nano-reef.com and use the search button.
But personally I would stay away from MH lights for a 10 Gallon. I would go with the CoraLife 1X96W Quad PC. It works awesom and there are people who grow SPS under these lights. : )

HTH

Peace

Edge
Old 09-09-2003, 02:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Not impossible. As in an earlier post, these 10 gallon marine tanks are gaining in popularity. Granted it doesn't give you the choices that a larger tank provides, but a small ecosystem can be equally as interesting as a 1000 gallon reef tank. Just up to your preference.

And I agree with the above comment on the light, with that small a tank, the metal hallide is probobly not necessary.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 02:46 PM   #5

Sam,
you might want to do some research before you say it can't be done. Like I said check out Nano-reef.com. You'll be amazed. Members have tanks 2 gallon up to 20 gallon. I myself have a 12 Gallon and it's perfectly fine.

Peace

Edge
Old 09-09-2003, 03:17 PM   #6
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
I stand corrected. Just goes to show, you never stop learing from this forum. Thanks for the correction all.

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:36 PM   #7

No Problem! We're all here to help. I learn new things everyday, sometimes I feel overwhelmed. But part of the joy of this hobby is learning.

Peace

Edge
Old 09-09-2003, 04:30 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to bbaughman
Alright...well I will be sure to check out the website, but what do you all think about me getting a powerhead for my 10 gallon tank..and if so...what kinds should I get..I mean..how many GPH should it be able to move.

Thanks to everyone!

Bryan
Old 09-09-2003, 04:36 PM   #9

Yep it is possible by all means.. I have a 5 gal on my desk at work.... It is a little of a pita, but it sure does get attention...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=2070

BTW you should have flow in the tank at least 10 X the volume...

10 gal = 100 gph

HTH
Old 09-09-2003, 04:51 PM   #10

I would go with the Maxijet 404 it's small, quite, and pushes a max of 100gph. Yes Nano's are kind of a PITA but they do get some crazy amounts of attention. But then so do all reef aquariums no matter what size.
What kind of fish do you plan on getting?
Do you plan on having a protein skimmer?
Keep us informed. PM me if you have any other questions I'm more than happy to help.

Peace

Edge

Tags
10 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com