New 10 gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbaughman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! First off just want to say hello to everyone. My name is Bryan and I am a new member here.

I have a 10 gallon tank that I got for X-mas last year, and had it up and running just fine until about June of 03. The tanks crashed..Well like an idiot I just shut down the tank, and drained it all..Well now I have it up and running again. Has been through the cycle and had it tested at the Local Fish Store.

My tank has crushed coral as a base, and some live rock in it. I just added two tomato clown fish to it on Friday of last week. Now I am about to go and buy some more cured Live Rock at the fish store in towm, and purchase a power head so I can get some more movement in my tank. Now my question is..What kind of lighting should I go with (metal hilide?) sorry about the spelling. But im wanting to be able to add some coral, and some other stuff that needs high light...But what would be the best for a 10 gallon tank, and what do you all recomend..My tank currently has a temp of 81 degrees, and changes about 2 degrees a day. It is away from direct sunlight as well.. Sorry if this message is all over the place...

Bryan
[/code]

Ah Bryan, hate to break the news to you, but a 10G tank is much too small to establish and run a marine tank. Maybe some other veterans can add to this, but especially if you want to create a reef aquarium, you need to look at least at a 30-40G at a minimum. Then comes all of the other equipment: lighting, skimmer, etc. Make sure that you can make this committment, rather than trying to do this with the 10G and having it crash again in no time, killing everything in it. Problem is that with that small a water quantity, it is next to impossible to maintain the water quality you need for a reef system. HTH, 8) any other opinions anyone??

Not impossible. As in an earlier post, these 10 gallon marine tanks are gaining in popularity. Granted it doesn't give you the choices that a larger tank provides, but a small ecosystem can be equally as interesting as a 1000 gallon reef tank. Just up to your preference.

And I agree with the above comment on the light, with that small a tank, the metal hallide is probobly not necessary.

Sam,
you might want to do some research before you say it can't be done. Like I said check out Nano-reef.com. You'll be amazed. Members have tanks 2 gallon up to 20 gallon. I myself have a 12 Gallon and it's perfectly fine.

Peace

Edge

No Problem! We're all here to help. I learn new things everyday, sometimes I feel overwhelmed. But part of the joy of this hobby is learning.

Peace :D

Edge

Alright...well I will be sure to check out the website, but what do you all think about me getting a powerhead for my 10 gallon tank..and if so...what kinds should I get..I mean..how many GPH should it be able to move.

Thanks to everyone!

Bryan

I would go with the Maxijet 404 it's small, quite, and pushes a max of 100gph. Yes Nano's are kind of a PITA but they do get some crazy amounts of attention. But then so do all reef aquariums no matter what size.
What kind of fish do you plan on getting?
Do you plan on having a protein skimmer?
Keep us informed. PM me if you have any other questions I'm more than happy to help.

Peace

Edge :wink:

Oh wow! I guess I have yet a lot to learn about this! :? I thought I pretty much had it all figured out. But as of right now I have two tomato clown fish, and havent really decided what I wanna do with my fish at this point. I was for sure thinking about buying some more LR for my tank..Ive only got about 8lbs in there as of now. So tomorrow I am off work, and school and I think im going to go and buy some more LR for my tank, and then pick up a Powerhead for the tank as well. Something that I am sure that I am going to need at some point down the road. As for lighting..Nothing excellent by any means. Just a plain jane light. But it is working for right now, until I get something that I really need it for. I was thinking about buying a compact light and using that. I hear it can really make stuff grow in a tank? Any truth to that...Any more information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in Advance!

for lighting for your tank I would go with the 20" 1x96W Coralife Aqualight CF hood w/ Quad 50/50 -Square Pin. It's one of the best for a tank your size. I'm planning on getting it here in a couple of weeks.
You will need a Powerhead right now, the clowns will play in the stream, plus it'll keep the water from becoming stagnent.
As for the LR, if it's uncured I would move your clowns out of there, cuz you will go through a cycle again. If you can find it cured that would be best, then you wont cycle.
I don't think anyone has this hobby totally figured out. It changes all the time, but that part of the enjoyment. : )
don't do this hobby half assed, cuz it's only going to discourage you. Read, Read, Read, and take what the LFS says with a grain of salt. They are only trying to sell a product. I've gotten very bad advice from some of them, so I trust my judgement, knowledge, and suggestions from peers. I would seriously join nano-reef.com, it's been invaluable to me since it's all about small reef systems.

HTH

Peace

Edge :twisted: [/url]

Back
Top Bottom