Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Tlc
Aquarium Advice Freak

Got a 55 set up now with fish and live rock looking for some ideas on setting up the new bigger tank. We have decided we don't want corrals so both tanks will be FOWLRS only. Should I do a sump or
Cannister filter? I currently have crushed corral would Sand be better?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i woulkd say bio filtration is better on a sump and it also holds a higher water volume so when a fish dies the pollution stays lower, and you han have a slightly higher bio load. a sump can hold a refugium for pods.

a canister holds media to filter the water thats all it does

Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you have the extra money I say put a sump on there to make life a little easier for ya. I always pick sand over crushed coral but that's up to you, same thing if you can afford it lay down some sand
Old 02-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
Tlc
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks guys. Yes I am going to take some time to build this tank and of course the money lol. What kind of sand would I buy? I was hoping for a white sand? Is it true sand is easier to keep clean? What I meant by the canister filter was that along with a skimmer on the back? Right now my 55 has a double bio wheel HOB filter and a prism deluxe skimmer. I have 2 koalia level 3-4 power heads as well. I also have about 25-30lbs live rock. If you do a sump do you need a in sump protein skimmer?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you don't need an in sump protein skimmer for a sump, but it's one of the major reasons for a sump. in sump skimmers are much better than the HOB models.

yes, the smaller the grains of sand, the harder it is for uneaten food and fish poop to get trapped in between the granules. if you choose aragonite based sand, it will buffer the ph.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

i've heard you can use sandbox sand, i bought caribisand and it wasn't to expensive
Old 02-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

i heard "southdown" sand was good to use, but most of the play sand is silica based, and they say it leaches silicates out and causes algae issues. i don't know how true that is, but it's been the advice for years.
plus, it doesn't buffer the ph.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
Tlc
Aquarium Advice Freak

I definitely want the sand to buffer the ph and I Don't want any algae lol. The tank is 48x18x30 so how many inches of sand is a good amount? Can I purchase the sand wash it and put it in the tank even though I'm not adding water right away?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

sure you can. i don't know how many inches is a good amount. that's going to be up to you. will you be keeping any sand dwellers?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have a friend wo uses nothing but playbox sand and i don't think hes ever had an issue but i haven't asked him about that. 3 inches is a nice depth for a sand bed i'd say. it allows for nice invert burrows

Tags
10 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com