Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Here is a link for the base rock and rock rubble

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae. Just tell them when you order that you want some of the rock in rubble and they will hook you up.

For the ro/di here is a link

Portable 100G Reverse Osmosis RO DI Radiation Removal | eBay

i would go with the mag 12 but thats just me. You can always throttle it back if need be.

I would also suggest a refractometer for the salinity, much much more accurate than a swing arm hydrometer. Here's a link

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

And finally here is a link for skimmers. They have pretty much every brand and size and they also list the footprint of the skimmer so if its going in a sump you can tell if it will fit.

Protein Skimmer, Protein Skimmers, Aquarium Marine Reef Foam Fractionators

Old 08-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Carey!

I already have a refractometer...I'm liking the price the RO/DI system and that it can be hooked up to a hose, probably gonna do the split off the washer line which will be perfect!

What is a good brand of skimmer? if im going to have a total volume of 150-165 gallons should i get a skimmer rated for 200gallons?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Definitely go big with the skimmer. Some people say to go double the volume. I have a eshopps rated for 150 on my 125 and I have to empty it every three days and it pulls some seriously nasty stuff. If I had the moeny at the time I would have gone with a reef octopus. They come in many sizes and prices so thats a very good option in my opinion.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm trying to figure out which one to go with, i hate to be a pain, looking for one rated at like 200 gallons, but with all the recirculating, needing an extra pump im confused, is there one that you just put in the sump...plug in and go?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Reef Octopus NWB 200 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer* - AquaCave

How about this one?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The pumps come with the skimmers usually. It's actually very easy. Just attach it according to instructions which takes like 1 minute and drop it in. It will take a week or two to break in so to say but they are really easy to operate, especially if you get one of the better ones from octopus.

You will have to adjust it of course but thats with any skimmer. Mine is just a turn handle that I move to get a drier or wetter foam. All skimmers have some type of adjustment knob or handle.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BfishLpond78 View Post

Will you have a 16 inch by 12 inch spot available for it?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmmm....forgot to look at the footprint...I have a 40 Gal breeder for the sump...do you think this is over kill?

36 X 18 X 17...what do you think the sections lengths should be for a sump to be used efficently?

The sump is already designed but i was going to make some modifications to it, how hard is it to remove the panels that are already in there and then to redo them?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Connecticut Fish Stores • View topic - Tanks for sale!

Here is some pictures of the setup...the pictures are on page 2 if it doesnt bring you to it automatically...like i said i want to redesign the sump if possible cause I want the refugium set up with live rock rubble and chaeto.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you use that skimmer you will still have 20 inches to use for your refugium and return pump chamber. How big is the return pump? You also have to account an inch or so for the baffles. That might leave you with about 14 inches of refugium area. Give or take...lol

Tags
build, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com