Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #131
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ro/di to your washer water line. I was thinking the same. You CAN plumb it to that. I would think it's just the time and parts to do it. I think some sort of a ball valve would be needed between your spigot and your ro/di. Waste water can be run to the washer drain pipe. Carey posted a link to one on eBay that can be connected to a garden hose so if you get that one (I'm looking at that one too) you should be able to plumb the bits to make it a permanent fixture.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #132
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as waste water used for freshwater water changes. (sorry I missed that part) I don't know about the water quality being ok but brilliant idea if it is ok to use.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #133
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i wouldnt use it for drinkin but for watering the lawn and plants and maybe laundry too. Sounds brilliant if you can make it work. Can even save it for washing the car too.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #134
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Carey, how about a seperate bin for freshwater PWC...why waste the water if i dont need to???
Old 08-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #135
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think the fw fish wouldnt enjoy the waste water, it has all the stuff you dont want in a tank. I think fw appreciates the minerals from regualr tap water. I;ve seen it mentioned before but I think there are reasons you can't do it.

Anyone know the reason why people?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #136
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, another question...obviously...lol.

So it have 120 gal tank, so I need 120lbs of rock respectively, I would really like to have lots of openings for the fish to swim in and out of. Not really relavant to my questions but.

How much base rock and live rock should I get?

How long does it take for the live rock to seed the new rock? (I believe it's different for everyone)

Coralline Algae...what's the best way to introduce this? Is it usually already on live rock?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #137
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have 200lbs of rock in my 125g. Ifindit just the right amount and there is actually swimming room in back of the structure and plenty of caverns and overhangs. Your live rock is your primary source of filtration in a sw tank so the more the merrier.

You can add 100lbs of base rock and 20lbs of live rock. the live rock will seed the base rock in a few weeks and in a couple months you won't be able to tell the difference between the two. My 125g has only benn up a few months and it's full of coralline and I can't tell the base from the live. The only clue is the base rock is prettier, at least to me.

I think coralline has to be in the tank at some point for it to multiply so get soem live rock with some nice purple.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #138
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awesome, I will probably go with more and have a bunch of rubble in my refugium area.

Is your rock attached in any way, reef glue or any other bonding agent?

Also is there a better way to place the rock, such as live rock on the bottom base rock on top of it or all random?
Old 08-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #139
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I put the larger and ugly pieces on the bottom. You should put the base of your structure in first then add your sand to avoid any diggers or burrowers from causing an avalanche. I didn't use any epoxy or glue for my rockscape, i change it way too often for that. I just am very very careful when stacking, I even used theback wall in places for extra security. Once the tank starts rolling there will be no way to keep the back glass clean anyway lol

And nope, no particular order for the rock work, just put it in and mess with it until youre satisfied. Live rock can be upa gianst base or more live rock and the same for base rock, no special order. the bacteria in the system will go to all the rock in time so its not reqquired for the live rock to actually touch the base rock.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #140
Aquarium Advice Addict

i forget where carey posted the link for the ro/di but here it is on ebay...i may get one on payday.

also it could include the t for the washing machine spigot option you where thinking about.

Portable 100G Reverse Osmosis RO DI Radiation Removal | eBay

Tags
build, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com