Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
there is a huge difference. naturally, the thicker the glass, the more noticeable.

the only problem with my new tank is that it's 7 feet long, not 8 like the shallow reef you saw. i don't know if i can use the T5s unless i perhaps stagger 80 watt retro fit kits. those are 5 foot lamps.
i am also considering using 3 of these-
Cannon LED Pendants - Modular LED Lighting - Products

Old 08-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Holy Moly!!! Those things look nice, i know nothing of LED's just that they look fantastic, 550 for one pendant...wowzers....but i guess in the long run its alot cheaper overtime to run those vs T5HO / MH. I wonder what the monthly electric bill comparison would be. Could be a huge selling point...

Old 08-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah..they are supposed to be maintenance free, super low heat and cheap to run. i have some research to do before i bucked up for them though.

check this out though...pretty exciting-
http://reefbuilders.com/2011/02/09/e...fits-legoland/
Old 08-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is absolutely insane!!! Please please keep me in the loop on that research...

Ok let me ask hypothetically here if I were to get those...lol. How many would i need? Two, one white one blue?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

you would need 2, but the white blue thing is what i'm not sure about. it would either be both white or both blue i imagine.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Interesting, i did some looking around it looks like people do a one and one combo...
Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so I was thinking last night (never a real good idea) I was looking into ATO's, then I also got to thinking about doing water changes. Can you incorporate the same principle in doing water changes.

Example....if I were to buy 2 50 gallon garbage cans, one for just ATO water and the other would be saltwater. Could I theoretically remove the water and then pump the water back in instead of using the old bucket method?

Also, how hard is a DIY ATO system, i'm not the handiest guy in the world but i am not dumb.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a small pump that I can use to pump my saltwater from a 32g garbage can back into the tank. I dont always use it though, its more work to me than the old fashioned bucket way. But it does work.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hmmm...what do you mean by more work?

I've never had a saltwater tank and not sure what the best method will be, i don't want to be sloshing around all that water especially on a 120 gal tank thats alot of buckets!

What percent do you usually do a week?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I need my b/f's help when I use the pump, he stops the pu,p when the tank is full again. I also have my garbage can outside on my back covered porch so it's about 18ft away from my tank. Then I have to unroll the tubing the and run it through my house LOL

I do about 20-25g a week. I use 5g buckets so I know how much I've taken out and use the same amount of buckets to add water back in. So I replace about 4 buckets which isnt too bad.

Tags
build, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com