New 120 build...gonna be a long ride...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i like to use reef grade salts because my reefs rely on water changes for trace element replenishment and i want my new water to be close to NSW as possible. while instant ocean is "safe" to use, it's about the furthest from natural sea water and will need some supplementation.

Oh...very interesting, do most LFS carry these brands? Are they much more expensive? I don't mind cost since i will be dropping a few pennies into the hobby...might as well get the most out of it.

yes, most stores carry those, or a reasonable facsimile. for a fish only or FOWLR, i would definitely suggest IO.

Well for the first 3-6 months i would like to do FOWLR to build hopefully a stable system then eventually switch to corals, anenomes and all the fun stuff...

I mean does that sound like a good plan? Is there a better way to do it?

sounds good to me..just remember to purchase only reef safe critters in the beginning. once they are in there, they can be a real pain to get out.

I've been doing alot of research...i had a great stocklist of all the things i wanted to ask you guys about...but left it in my pocket and put it through the wash...DOH!!! lol. I do know i would like a bunch of skunk cleaner shrimp and the blood fire shrimp i think they are called...i really like them both. Please tell me they are ok...lol

I'll have to re-write the list and run it by you...is there any good website that has an extensive list of corals and anenome I don't know the names just what they look like for now...lol. Sorry...such a beginner...

Oh nice, that makes it easier, i always forget about that site.

I'll post my potential stock list a little later after work and tell me what you guys and gals think so i can prepare now.

So I have remade my "want" stock list...But i am going to throw it to the masses to get your advice on them. I went off Live Aquaria of things that i would like to have.

Ones in Bold are ones that I am really wanting.

Elegance Coral
Hammer Coral
Torch Coral
Frogspawn
Mushroom Leather Coral
Maxima Clam
Brain Coral
Tooth Coral
Acropora
Feather Duster
Some sort of Anenome...

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Blood Fire Red Shrimp
Coral Banded Shrimp
Ocellaris Clownfish
Mandarine (when enough pods cultured)
Blue and Yellow Tang
Purple / Yellow Royal Gamma

I really like corals that move with the current.

And for some reason the shrimp I REALLY like, they look great under the lighting that I see at my LFS...colors really POP!!!

Let me know what you think...

i would steer clear of the elegance, unless you can find an australian specimen. they don't do too well in closed systems. the aussie ones seem to do better.

the fire shrimp are a lot less social than the skunk cleaners. whenever i kept them, i hardly ever seen them.

Coral list looks good, just make sure you have enough light for the acropora. :)

I hate to say it but unless you have a 6 foot tank I would just settle on the yellow tang. They need an extreme amount of swimming room. Believe it or not it's vital to their health and well being. tangs stress unusually easy unfortunately....

Youre right carey...im sure ill find others. Will the yellow tang be ok. Im more worried about the fiah than i am about having it for looks.

Mr x i really like the look when they are flowing in the current, i would say id get a carpet nem but i read thwy get huge

I figure a yellow tang would be ok in there, you have a good amount of back to front space and I'm guessing its a 4 foot tank or is it 5 feet?

there are other tangs like the kole that is also a good fit. They can be happy enough in a 75g and I loved the one I had before it passed.

Mr x i really like the look when they are flowing in the current, i would say id get a carpet nem but i read thwy get huge

To be honest, nems are quite over rated. This comes from someone who bought one right off and had to return it 2 months later after i couldnt deal with the stress of having it take over my whole tank adn the possibility that it could eat fish.

You want an established tank of at least several months, pristine, stable water and excellent lighting.

I have to be hobest though, I am considering a mini maxi anemone for my new tank. Still on the fence about it though. They are tiny and very colorful and they have shrimp that hang out in them. :-D

Back
Top Bottom