Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh ok well thats not too bad, i was figuring people did like 50% water changes on these 100+ gallon tanks and they are bucketing 60 gallons of water around...I have no problem doing maintenance, but i also like to work smarter not harder...lol

Old 08-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but you mentioned, Mr X, the ecoxotic retro fit, and I was wondering what you thought of the panorama line, which is expandable.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No by all means please ask any question pertaining to saltwater set ups, cause at some point i'm going to ask it.

I was also curious about those as well so this is good.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BfishLpond78 View Post
Oh ok well thats not too bad, i was figuring people did like 50% water changes on these 100+ gallon tanks and they are bucketing 60 gallons of water around...I have no problem doing maintenance, but i also like to work smarter not harder...lol

Juts keep extra water available cause you never know. I keep a full 32g of ro/di water on my porch and an extra 4 5g jugs inside in case of a major issue where you might want to do a 50% pwc.

Any pump would do for the pumping method, I have a 800gph rio I use and about 20ft of 3/4 inch tubing. Ended up costing me over $60 between the pump and the hosing from home depot. But I do have it in case of a large water change. Like if a anameone dies and nukes the tank or some other hazard occurs.

Also you should have about 15g of ro/di water available for evaporation purposes, I go through almost a gallon a day adding water. I am trying to get it together enough to set up an ATO for this purpose but havent gotten there yet. LOL
Old 08-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea i am looking at getting all that set up as well. I'm going to have the garbage cans (brand new of course) right near the tank and just have them hidden behind like one of those oriental walls or whatever so it looks "decrotive" i guess that way I don't need to run hoses out the door, through my car window, down stairs around the dogs and through the woods...lol.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL. Sounds like a plan. You could probably do the pump setup pretty cheap then if you wanted to. You could also setup an ato pretty easy too if the cans of water are nearby.

How are you filling the garbage cans with ro/di water though? Are you running the output from the machine through the house etc?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well...I haven't actually go there yet, i am in the planning stages now, I'm ordering my tank this week. I just want to have a game plan now, so as I am building I have a sense of direction.

I am thinking of either tieing into the plumbing at my house to run the RO/DI system or i've heard you can use the outside hose...not sure if that's true or not.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use the outside water hose. It's only a few feet away from my garbage can of water so its nice and easy for me. Do you have the link for the ro/di unit? It's $70 I think with shipping and if you ask at ordering time you can get the hose hookup.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I dont have a unit yet. I wanted to wait and ask everyone on here which I should go with. I trust everyone on here because they are not trying to make a buck off me. What unit would you suggest?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I and many others use this one

0PPM Portable 100GPD Reverse Osmosis DI Filter PO4B-100 - eBay (item 380331542539 end time Aug-07-11 23:10:24 PDT)

I think that link expired but just look at the sellers other items. I make about 5g a water an hour with about a 3 to 1 waste water amount. If you don't ask for a faucet or gardenhose attachment you wil get the hardwiring into your plumbing kit. With mine I use it once a week then store it away in the closet.

Tags
build, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com