New 120 build...gonna be a long ride...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a link for the base rock and rock rubble

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae. Just tell them when you order that you want some of the rock in rubble and they will hook you up.

For the ro/di here is a link

Portable 100G Reverse Osmosis RO DI Radiation Removal | eBay

i would go with the mag 12 but thats just me. :) You can always throttle it back if need be.

I would also suggest a refractometer for the salinity, much much more accurate than a swing arm hydrometer. Here's a link

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

And finally here is a link for skimmers. They have pretty much every brand and size and they also list the footprint of the skimmer so if its going in a sump you can tell if it will fit.

Protein Skimmer, Protein Skimmers, Aquarium Marine Reef Foam Fractionators

Thanks Carey!

I already have a refractometer...I'm liking the price the RO/DI system and that it can be hooked up to a hose, probably gonna do the split off the washer line which will be perfect!

What is a good brand of skimmer? if im going to have a total volume of 150-165 gallons should i get a skimmer rated for 200gallons?

Definitely go big with the skimmer. Some people say to go double the volume. I have a eshopps rated for 150 on my 125 and I have to empty it every three days and it pulls some seriously nasty stuff. If I had the moeny at the time I would have gone with a reef octopus. They come in many sizes and prices so thats a very good option in my opinion.

I'm trying to figure out which one to go with, i hate to be a pain, looking for one rated at like 200 gallons, but with all the recirculating, needing an extra pump im confused, is there one that you just put in the sump...plug in and go?

The pumps come with the skimmers usually. It's actually very easy. Just attach it according to instructions which takes like 1 minute and drop it in. It will take a week or two to break in so to say but they are really easy to operate, especially if you get one of the better ones from octopus.

You will have to adjust it of course but thats with any skimmer. Mine is just a turn handle that I move to get a drier or wetter foam. All skimmers have some type of adjustment knob or handle.

Hmmm....forgot to look at the footprint...I have a 40 Gal breeder for the sump...do you think this is over kill?

36 X 18 X 17...what do you think the sections lengths should be for a sump to be used efficently?

The sump is already designed but i was going to make some modifications to it, how hard is it to remove the panels that are already in there and then to redo them?

If you use that skimmer you will still have 20 inches to use for your refugium and return pump chamber. How big is the return pump? You also have to account an inch or so for the baffles. That might leave you with about 14 inches of refugium area. Give or take...lol

Well if i go with the Mag 12 how much room will i need?

If you were to buy a skimmer for my tank and which octopus would you go with?

The mag 12 is 7 inches by 5 for reference. SOOO lemme see if I cna figure this out LOL.

You'll need at least 7inches wide for the return pump, givingn it an inch on each side, the skimmer needs 18 (giving it an inch each side also) inches so thats 25 inches to hold what you have in mind. That leaves 11 inches for baffles and refugium. My refugiumis 14.5 inches wide but my skimmr section is only ten inches. I have my skimmer kinda sideways to fit. And my return section is 5.5 inches. BUT I only have a 30" sump

I like the skimmer you picked out though maybe theres one comparable with a smaller foot print.

I was thinking that as well cause i would like a larger refugium area for rock, chaeto and more room for those delicious pods to grow and reporduce...lol. I'll keep looking around for a different skimmer, cause i know im gonna need the skimming power at some point.

Also, how hard do you think it would be to remove the panels and re-do the sump so i can make more room for skimmer and refugium area?

I have never added or removed panels so i really cant even guess. I can say ot probably won't be easy though.
:-(

I hear petco is maybe having another $1 a gallon sale. You could always sell the one you made and just buy a new tank LOL Just a crazy thought

Hmmm...i guess it will be good for me to figure out, so I can become more handy. Have you ever installed bulkheads?

Nope. LOL While I consider myself "handy" it doesnt extend to aquariums. I can redo a kitchen or lay pergo flooring but have no idea how to do aquaria stuff. ROFL

Lol...and you have 7 tanks!!! 8102 posts!!! Come on Carey...lol i'm just kidding. I appreciate all your help and i'm no where near done picking your brain...lol

carey said:
Here is a link for the base rock and rock rubble

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae. Just tell them when you order that you want some of the rock in rubble and they will hook you up.

For the ro/di here is a link

Portable 100G Reverse Osmosis RO DI Radiation Removal | eBay

i would go with the mag 12 but thats just me. :) You can always throttle it back if need be.

I would also suggest a refractometer for the salinity, much much more accurate than a swing arm hydrometer. Here's a link

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

And finally here is a link for skimmers. They have pretty much every brand and size and they also list the footprint of the skimmer so if its going in a sump you can tell if it will fit.

Protein Skimmer, Protein Skimmers, Aquarium Marine Reef Foam Fractionators
Wow. I've never seen a RO/Di unit that cheap before. Does it work well? Is it standard sized filters?

The unit I have is a 75gpd one, I dont see it on their site right now, but yeah, mine works great. It was pretty much screw the adaptor to the hose and put the "good" water line into a garbage can and the "waste" line into the garden and ta da water. :) Just have to run through about 15g of water to clear out the system when you first get it. Mine makes about 30g of water in a bit less than 6 hours. And my 5g jugs take about an hour each

Oh the same company sells the replacement membranes as well. :-D

Back
Top Bottom