New 120 build...gonna be a long ride...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ebay rodi has a reject ratio of 1:3 I believe. Wouldnt it make more ssense to go for a more efficient rodi? Only reason I ask is because ive seen some rodis with a 1:1.5 ratio.

Well im not sure what RO/DI unit to go with just yet, im still reviewing all the recommended units.

I am curious as to what substrate to go with. Im curious which is best to house the most species of SW, ie. sand sifters, burrowers....etc. Also which helps with the chenistry of the water when it comes to reefs and corals.

Argonite sand is popular for Its ability to buffer sw. Pool filter sand and play sand are cheap viable substitute. If youre planning on bottom dwellers and sand sifters, go with a finer grain substrate, saves the fish from getting cut up

the finer the granules, the less detritus get's in it. i like slightly larger than sugar sized grains, and i like aragonite sand. it's just like huma-huma said. either can be used. some say the silica sand can cause algae problems, but i've read that the silicates are used by some of the life in the system and are beneficial.

I heard to use PFS, but you have to get a certain type that doesnt contain silicates or something like that...

Pfs would be a fine grain.. Play sand finer grain.. Sorry dont have any technical answers

what did you use? carey used crystal sand pool filter sand. i used aragonite seaflor special grade reef sand. i was warned against sugar fine because it will compact too much and too much current will stir it up.

See Ive heard that the silicates found in sand doesnt break down into the water, the only downsides are its sharper, and algae as Mr x stated:)

I guess i would like to go with something safe, i dont want to go with something too fine as it can get stirred up too much and wont be sucked up when vaccumed.

Have you considered a dsb? Sorry cant remember. The finer sand honestly isnt bad afte a few weeks. Mine doesnt even cloud the tank anymore.. Just a localized lil cloud

I used the pfs as mentioned and have not had any algae issues in the 3 months or so it's been in there. I had a sand sifting goby for like 2 days and he was able to sift it easily enough.

I;m not sure if I got silica free pfs though. I have a silicate test that I ran and it came back at 0 so I don;t know for sure.

I havent even thought about it...i do like the look of them. What is the normal depth of a sand bed vs a DSB?

I used the pfs as mentioned and have not had any algae issues in the 3 months or so it's been in there. I had a sand sifting goby for like 2 days and he was able to sift it easily enough.

I;m not sure if I got silica free pfs though. I have a silicate test that I ran and it came back at 0 so I don;t know for sure.

ive read that silica sand is chemically identical to the glass in your aquarium. thats why its ok to use it as your substrate.

Non-functional sand beds can be any depth,grain size etc. dsb depth is based on grain size.. Usually a smaller grain is used and anywhere bettween 4-6" I believe, enough to promote anerobic conversion of trates to non harmful nitrogen

Back
Top Bottom