New 120 Gallon Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizzle007

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am new to the saltwater world. I have been keeping fresh for about 3 years. I recently inherited a 120 gallon acrylic with stand and canopy. Bulkheads already drilled. I am looking to do a FOWLR setup and eventually into reef years down the road with this tank.

I need help on setup. I understand the entire concept but would like some expert advice.

Hi Chizzle,

I am also new to the saltwater world, and i am doing the exact same thing as you. I've already started a thread and got tons of beginner questions going and lots of ideas.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/new-120-build-gonna-be-a-long-ride-165245.html

That is the thread to my build, the good thing is you already have your tank and I am waiting on a truck so i can go pick up mine. All the people who have helped me are very knowlegable. It's up to you if you want to look at my thread, but I figured it would give you some ideas. By all means post any questions you have on my thread so you reach out to some people with great advice...plus i would like to learn as much as I can also!

I'm taking it slow...and i'm trying to do as much research on livestock and equipment as I can. Which is the reason I don't have anything but the tank stand and sump bought so far. It can be an expensive hobby, and if I buy something I want to buy it once and go with what people on AA think.

That's what I did with my 125g build. After trying other options for eveything I went with what I thought would be one time purchases. Ie: sump, skimmer etc....Trial and error were my teachers as well as all the great advice I get here. I;m veyr proud of my tanks now, specailly the 125 and it's mostly because of suggestions, experiences and recommedations I got here.

The one thing you MUST MUST have for a sw tank is patience. :-D

BfishLpond78 said:
I'm taking it slow...and i'm trying to do as much research on livestock and equipment as I can. Which is the reason I don't have anything but the tank stand and sump bought so far. It can be an expensive hobby, and if I buy something I want to buy it once and go with what people on AA think.

Exactly why I did. It is very smart to take it as slow as possible and be patient. I have been researching for about 3 months and just got my first 3 fish yesterday LOL. A 120 gives you many more options than the 76 I inherited. But I got everything (minus the heater, rocks, sand, and fish) for free, thank god. Some things can be extremely costly.

I think it's the only way to go in a hobby like this. I feel if you ask any seasoned veteran how old their tanks are that are established, probably years old. People have to remember that they have plenty of time to reach that showcase tank. To me...the fun part is getting to that level, but that's just me.

What kind of advice are you looking for Chizzle?

Really for equipment suggestions. It would be amazing to get a list of actual proven equipment.

You'll also get differing opinions on equipment as well. For example, I went with an eshopps skimmer. Not known to be notch notch like the octopus ones but I have had very good luck with mine.

Back
Top Bottom