New 125, check my list and critique if need be...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vehl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alrighty, after reading on this site and others for a few months, and having just finished reading The Conscientious Marine Aquarist from cover to cover I feel I am ready to begin the plunge. I have kept a 55 gallon African tank for a few years now and I have a friend with a 30 gallon saltwater foaming at the mouth to help me.

I guess I will list what I am going with and you all can agree, challenge, etc... what I list. I will also put the price if you care to comment on that.

Tank: 125 Glass with wood stand, no canopy.
$499.00

Lighting: 2 of these: http://www.hellolights.com/362xcoluaqde.html 36" 2x96W Coralife LUNAR Aqualight Deluxe Series 1x Actinic and 1x 10,000K, 2x 3/4W Blue LEDs -Square Pin
About $450.00 for both

Protien Skimmer: Bak-Pak2 by CPR
$140.00 each and would get 3 soo $420.00

Live Rock: 70lbs live baserock and 80lbs florida keyes rock from liverocks.com
About $480.00 total

Sand: About 2-3 inches deep not sure on price.

Filtration: Not sure I would need any more with the skimmers and liverock, perhaps a powerhead for water movement?

And then of course a heater, thermometer, test kits, buckets, etc.....

Now I am not gung-ho on corals, I wouldn't mind some, I do know I want an anenome or two for the tank, and some feather dusters, would that lighitng be enough?

Now as for fish and critters:
I would like possibly 4 shrimp, 2 pairs of 2 different types, I am not sure they would all get along however, I like the way the Fiji Fire shrimp look and perhaps a pair of banded coral shrimp.

My girlfriend really wants an electric flame scallop, but I told her we would have to see if it would co-exist.

I would like a pair of true perculas for the anenome

I would love a flame angel, just worried it might destroy the anenome and any corals I might get.

A couple of Gobies, probably dragon gobies, would love mandarin, but I know it has to go in an established system and even then is iffy.

I would like a couple of yellow headed jawfish, but am afraid they might not get along with the gobies, any thoughts?

Either a royal or blackcap gramma, most sources have said only 1 to tank.

A long-nosed butterflyfish, although it may not get along with the the Flame angel I have read.

And a tang, perhaps a yellow one, everything seems to say they are the easiest to deal with.

And then of course the cleanup crew of blue-legged hermits and snails.

That gives me 10 fish total plus some shrimp and what not. Now most of these fish stay small, so I am open to any suggestions for a few more additions, either fish or inverts.

Also if you have any information on the order I should present the livestock please feel free to post that as well.

Oh ya, just so everyone knows, the dimensions on the tank are 72'x18'x24'

First post and its a doozy I know, and again feel free to yell scream or tell me this or that will not work.

Thank in advance,

Jon

Problem with a sump is that I would have to drill the tank I thought, and run more pumps, etc...

I am not a handy-man type so DIY is semi-frightening to me..

But I will take it under advisment.

Vehl said:
Lighting: 2 of these: http://www.hellolights.com/362xcoluaqde.html 36" 2x96W Coralife LUNAR Aqualight Deluxe Series 1x Actinic and 1x 10,000K, 2x 3/4W Blue LEDs -Square Pin
About $450.00 for both

Now I am not gung-ho on corals, I wouldn't mind some, I do know I want an anenome or two for the tank, and some feather dusters, would that lighitng be enough?
Anemones will need the same amount of lighting a full reef tank would. The lighting you have chosen based on the length and depth of the tank would not suit your needs at all. What I would suggest is a >>72" 4x165w VHO Hood<<. This would allow for better coverage along the length of the tank and better light penetration into the tank and only cost an additional $100.00. This would still not allow for all coral and anemone types but would allow for a greater range as well as the possibility of a few select species of anemone that do not require MH lighting. Please keep in mind that anemones would be about a year down the road after the tank has been set up. They should never be added to new tanks as they are quite sensitive to water quality and changes that are inherent to a new tank. If possible when ready, try aquiring tank raised clone anemones. They are much hardier than wild caught species and would stand a much better chance of survival. Even in a well established tank, WC anemones have a 90% death rate.

Protien Skimmer: Bak-Pak2 by CPR
$140.00 each and would get 3 soo $420.00
Agreed with the others on the sump. 3 Skimmers will not work as effeciently as one good insump model. The costs would not be all that much different either. If you opt for no sump, I would change your skimmer selection to something like a >>Aqua Medic Turboflotor Multi<<. Much better in terms of efficiencey for your tank size and 2 less pieces of equipment hanging on the tank.

Filtration: Not sure I would need any more with the skimmers and liverock, perhaps a powerhead for water movement?
The LR would indeed be a decent starting point but would really depend on what and how many waste roducing animals are added. Ideally 200 lbs would be closer to the mark without needed additional filtrants. You can easily and cost effectively augment that number with >>dry base rock<. As far as water flow, without the pump return from a possible sump, you will need powerheads. For a 6 foot tank I would recommend >>Tunze Turbelle Stream<< but whatever you choose you will need at least 1200-1300 GPH combined at the minimum.

My girlfriend really wants an electric flame scallop, but I told her we would have to see if it would co-exist.
Flame scallops are extremely difficult to keep and I would advise against keeping animals of this nature. Most do not survive but a few short months in captive care, if that. You can read a good article >>here<<

I would love a flame angel, just worried it might destroy the anenome and any corals I might get.
Angels would not be a concern to anemones really but they are definately a concern to many coral species. Some go years without touching a coral and some in fact never do. The risk would be there though no matter what type of angel you choose. At best your looking at a 50/50 chance the angel will behave.

I would like a couple of yellow headed jawfish, but am afraid they might not get along with the gobies, any thoughts?
Depends on the species of goby you choose but preferabley not the benthic type. The tank is quite long and if each where to settle at odd sides or far enough apart to establish territories it might be okay. It would only be if the two settled close to each other that territorial issues would arise. Jawfish are also notorious jumpers so be sure the tank top is covered by eggcrate material. It will alow good light penetration, proper gas exchange and keep the fish in.

Other than that your selections seem fine. Although I wouold not add the butterfly for at least the first 6-12 months after the tank has been running stable. They are not too acepting of newer set ups nor are angels really. Both the tang and the butterfly are also larger growing species so be careful if adding another. Smaller growing fish would be fine though.

Good Luck!
Cheers
Steve

Wow, thank you so much for the thourogh (sp?) reply, it really helped a lot. As I said above I am not huge on corals, but I would like an anenome and some feather dusters. All your suggestions look firmly doable, and don't add much to the overall cost either.

If anyone else has any other suggestions please let me know!

Back
Top Bottom