Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Joester2k3 Send a message via Yahoo to Joester2k3
New 125 gal setup using canister filtration.

I am curious if anyone has done canister filtration on a 125gal salty tank with success. I have had no issues with my 65gal setup and cansister filter. The new 125gal is not drilled and I dont not wish to drill the tank or use a sump system. I understand the advantages to sump systems. But if I understand what I read correctly once my live rock is cured I dont need any type of filtration other than my protien skimmer because the LR is my biological filtration. I could just turn on the canister now and then to clear out any floating particles. Am I on the right thought process or way off track? Ive had my 65 salty tank for a few years now and was wondering since everything ive done in it has worked fine... will that work at the larger 125gal scale of things? Thanks for your help.

125Gal (Blue Regal Tang, 2Percs, Purple Pseudochromis, Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel, 2 Green Chromis,Yellow Wrasse,Urchin, Serpant Star)
Joester2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
There is no one right way to run a SW system. If what you are doing is working for you I say continue with it.

Personally I prefer having sumps and refugiums on my SW tanks. IT gives me places to hide equipment and other things as well as increasing my total water volume. I think with proper maintenance of your canister filter (changing media and cleaning any sponges/floss regularly) and regular PWCs you will do just fine.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

125 gallon, canister, filtration, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com