New 125 gal setup using canister filtration.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joester2k3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am curious if anyone has done canister filtration on a 125gal salty tank with success. I have had no issues with my 65gal setup and cansister filter. The new 125gal is not drilled and I dont not wish to drill the tank or use a sump system. I understand the advantages to sump systems. But if I understand what I read correctly once my live rock is cured I dont need any type of filtration other than my protien skimmer because the LR is my biological filtration. I could just turn on the canister now and then to clear out any floating particles. Am I on the right thought process or way off track? Ive had my 65 salty tank for a few years now and was wondering since everything ive done in it has worked fine... will that work at the larger 125gal scale of things? Thanks for your help.

There is no one right way to run a SW system. If what you are doing is working for you I say continue with it.

Personally I prefer having sumps and refugiums on my SW tanks. IT gives me places to hide equipment and other things as well as increasing my total water volume. I think with proper maintenance of your canister filter (changing media and cleaning any sponges/floss regularly) and regular PWCs you will do just fine.

Back
Top Bottom