New 125 salt water tank. Need advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ducati

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased a 125 gallon tank and want to convert to salt water. I have already purchased a 150 skimmer. I have live sand picked out and salt as well. My concern is what fish can I get if I want a reef tank? My girlfriend really wants a puffer and clown but I have heard puffers don't do well in reef tanks. Also what size wet dry system should I be looking for? I got the tank for $425 which I assume is a good deal. I love this hobby and want to learn all I can before I jump right into it with no knowlege. Any tips will help! Filtration, wet dry filtration, what type of fish with or without a reef. Thanks so much!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 135
If you have any questions or concerns about fish and their different care levels use the site www.liveaquaria.com there is a look of useful information on this website.

Hey there, also there are plenty of great articles on here about how to set up and maintain a salt tank. If it were me I would look into running a sump (is the tank drilled?) I keep a small sharp nosed puffer in my 55g reef but on paper puffers are not reef safe, mine picks at some corals and not others but it most certainly keeps you from having any inverts. Do plenty of research before purchasing anything and ask questions here, you will receive good advice from people who have been there, done that :)
Here is a pic of my bike too, for your pleasure...

Attachments

• image-87660163.jpg
    image-87660163.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 126
You don't need live sand. Don't bother buying it. You also do not want a wet/dry if you are going reef. Wet/dry setups do not convert nitrate to nitrogen gas, so they are better for fish only tanks. You want to add a sump to put your skimmer in, and you can also make a compartment for a refugium to help with nutrient export. What 150 skimmer did you buy?
What lighting are you planning on using? What are the dimensions of this 125?

If theres 1 thing i would suggest, its to not "jump in with no knowledge". The more time and effort you put into researching will directly affect the success you have in this hobby

Sorry if thread jacking. I'm also about convert my 100 gallon FW tank ( 5ft long) to a mixed reef tank. Right now thinking about ditching my fluval fx5 to do a sump. Thinking about buying a sump with refugium, mag drive pump that will return 1200-1500 gph, a external overflow that will match the return pump, four hydor koralis that will be around 400gph, a in sump protein skimmer possibly reef octopus, and either 4 kessils or fluval reef led's. Anything else I will need except for live rock and sand? Would love to get some input

Sorry if thread jacking. I'm also about convert my 100 gallon FW tank ( 5ft long) to a mixed reef tank. Right now thinking about ditching my fluval fx5 to do a sump. Thinking about buying a sump with refugium, mag drive pump that will return 1200-1500 gph, a external overflow that will match the return pump, four hydor koralis that will be around 400gph, a in sump protein skimmer possibly reef octopus, and either 4 kessils or fluval reef led's. Anything else I will need except for live rock and sand? Would love to get some input
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...f-articles-to-help-get-you-started-41145.html

Awesome thanks everyone. It turns out when I got home after measuring the tank it's 90 gallons. I went back to the seller and he gave me a free filtration system for mis labeling it. I got a good book yesterday and decided on going fish only for now. Nice bike! I had a 748 when I lived in Cali. Going with a 1098 by this spring. Seasons in Kentucky don't allow much time to ride. I'll post more photos once it's up and running. Thanks again this site has been most helpful!

Awesome thanks everyone. It turns out when I got home after measuring the tank it's 90 gallons. I went back to the seller and he gave me a free filtration system for mis labeling it. I got a good book yesterday and decided on going fish only for now. Nice bike! I had a 748 when I lived in Cali. Going with a 1098 by this spring. Seasons in Kentucky don't allow much time to ride. I'll post more photos once it's up and running. Thanks again this site has been most helpful!

Are you doing fish only or fish only with live rock? Live rock or base rock is pretty much required in sw as it's your main filtration.

Live rock for sure. I have about 20 pounds purchased uncured and a friend giving me some out of his tank the is cured. I will wait until the tank does well for a few months and the fish stay healthy then invest in the best lighting and other things that I need for coral. Will it hurt having sump and protein skimmer even though I have no coral?

Live rock for sure. I have about 20 pounds purchased uncured and a friend giving me some out of his tank the is cured. I will wait until the tank does well for a few months and the fish stay healthy then invest in the best lighting and other things that I need for coral. Will it hurt having sump and protein skimmer even though I have no coral?

Nope it will definitely be beneficial. I mistook fish only that you were not doing live rock my bad haha

Back
Top Bottom