I had a 34gallon Solana for about 2yrs now and I "thought" i knew what i was doing so i decided to shop around on Craigslist, ebay and the flyer to take advantage of some deals. Here is where I am at.
- I purchased this tank, top, skimmer, pump (little giant) and stand from Craigslist for $375 (also came with home made T5 and MH set up but i haven't touched it because it just doesn't look "safe" to me. I will take a look at it at a later time.
- I purchased the Wet Dry 40gallon from Craigslist for $110
- As you prob saw from another post I purchased the 48in light set-up (yes, even though my tank is 72in LOL) off of craigslist for $125. It is a Current 2x150w dual MH and 2x130w dual Actinic PC
- All plumbing was from scratch and bought everything at Ace Hardware -- I know Lowes / Home Depot is cheaper but I like supporting my local hardware store Total cost was about $100
- I made Durso's for the 2 drilled overhead boxes.
- My favorite purchase was just this week... where I found this 100Lb's of LR on Craigslist for $150..... guy was breaking down his tank because he lived in an apartment and they were fining him DAILY until he got rid of it. (He is also the same guy I purchased the lighting from.
So originally I was going to do FOWLR
because I couldn't afford the lighting at this time.... so now that I have this lighting I am hoping to do some easy / light coral and Inverts (focusing the coral in the center of the tank since the lighting doesn't cover it all).
I understand that there is much to think about as for "compatibility" of the fish, inverts and coral and I have yet to make a decision on what I really want.... I'm thinking the tank will go through a mini cycle and be ready to move ahead full force in a couple weeks