Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New 125 set up

I had a 34gallon Solana for about 2yrs now and I "thought" i knew what i was doing so i decided to shop around on Craigslist, ebay and the flyer to take advantage of some deals. Here is where I am at.
  • I purchased this tank, top, skimmer, pump (little giant) and stand from Craigslist for $375 (also came with home made T5 and MH set up but i haven't touched it because it just doesn't look "safe" to me. I will take a look at it at a later time.
  • I purchased the Wet Dry 40gallon from Craigslist for $110
  • As you prob saw from another post I purchased the 48in light set-up (yes, even though my tank is 72in LOL) off of craigslist for $125. It is a Current 2x150w dual MH and 2x130w dual Actinic PC
  • All plumbing was from scratch and bought everything at Ace Hardware -- I know Lowes / Home Depot is cheaper but I like supporting my local hardware store Total cost was about $100
  • I made Durso's for the 2 drilled overhead boxes.
  • My favorite purchase was just this week... where I found this 100Lb's of LR on Craigslist for $150..... guy was breaking down his tank because he lived in an apartment and they were fining him DAILY until he got rid of it. (He is also the same guy I purchased the lighting from.
So originally I was going to do FOWLR because I couldn't afford the lighting at this time.... so now that I have this lighting I am hoping to do some easy / light coral and Inverts (focusing the coral in the center of the tank since the lighting doesn't cover it all).

I understand that there is much to think about as for "compatibility" of the fish, inverts and coral and I have yet to make a decision on what I really want.... I'm thinking the tank will go through a mini cycle and be ready to move ahead full force in a couple weeks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03369.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	19999   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03380.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	20000  

Name:	DSC03370.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	20001   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03373.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	20002  

Old 08-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

More PIC's and some questions

The 2 are the home made Durso's that I made. I am having a slight problem... the one with the water line to the top of the "branch" on the T is how I believe it should be.... however, the other one has the water line to above the tip of the pipe.... I can't seem to find out why. They both have a small drill hole in the very tip of the pipe.. -- any suggestions?

2nd question was on the rock set up -- do you all like it? Any suggestions on how to make it more stable without taking it apart and glueing piece by piece? Can I just stick some gel / glue in the tank and apply small amount to each rock where it currently sits?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03378.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	20003   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03379.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	20004  

Name:	DSC03374.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	20005   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03372.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	20006  

Old 08-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good deal, Nice setup. Looking forward to some more pics as you progress.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Looks pretty good. On the first question the little drilled holes are for a siphon break. It will prevent a backflow to your sump. On the second question you can glue with an epoxy but I dont do that. I have mine leaning firmly on the back glass to make the fish swim out front.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Mike... I do understand the holes are for a siphon break... what i'm not understanding is why the water level in each overflow isn't the same. I have a telescopic durso and they are each at the exact level. doesn't seem to be affecting the drain pressure though .....

Tags
125 gallon, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com