New 125 set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had a 34gallon Solana for about 2yrs now and I "thought" i knew what i was doing so i decided to shop around on Craigslist, ebay and the flyer to take advantage of some deals. Here is where I am at.

• I purchased this tank, top, skimmer, pump (little giant) and stand from Craigslist for $375 (also came with home made T5 and MH set up but i haven't touched it because it just doesn't look "safe" to me. I will take a look at it at a later time.
  • I purchased the Wet Dry 40gallon from Craigslist for $110
  • As you prob saw from another post I purchased the 48in light set-up (yes, even though my tank is 72in LOL) off of craigslist for $125. It is a Current 2x150w dual MH and 2x130w dual Actinic PC
  • All plumbing was from scratch and bought everything at Ace Hardware -- I know Lowes / Home Depot is cheaper but I like supporting my local hardware store :) Total cost was about $100
  • I made Durso's for the 2 drilled overhead boxes.
  • My favorite purchase was just this week... where I found this 100Lb's of LR on Craigslist for $150..... guy was breaking down his tank because he lived in an apartment and they were fining him DAILY until he got rid of it. (He is also the same guy I purchased the lighting from.
So originally I was going to do FOWLR because I couldn't afford the lighting at this time.... so now that I have this lighting I am hoping to do some easy / light coral and Inverts (focusing the coral in the center of the tank since the lighting doesn't cover it all).

I understand that there is much to think about as for "compatibility" of the fish, inverts and coral and I have yet to make a decision on what I really want.... I'm thinking the tank will go through a mini cycle and be ready to move ahead full force in a couple weeks :)

Attachments

• DSC03369.jpg
    DSC03369.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC03380.jpg
    DSC03380.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC03370.jpg
    DSC03370.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC03373.jpg
    DSC03373.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 122
More PIC's and some questions

The 2 are the home made Durso's that I made. I am having a slight problem... the one with the water line to the top of the "branch" on the T is how I believe it should be.... however, the other one has the water line to above the tip of the pipe.... I can't seem to find out why. They both have a small drill hole in the very tip of the pipe.. -- any suggestions?

2nd question was on the rock set up -- do you all like it? Any suggestions on how to make it more stable without taking it apart and glueing piece by piece? Can I just stick some gel / glue in the tank and apply small amount to each rock where it currently sits?

Attachments

• DSC03378.jpg
    DSC03378.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC03379.jpg
    DSC03379.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC03374.jpg
    DSC03374.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC03372.jpg
    DSC03372.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 163
Looks pretty good. On the first question the little drilled holes are for a siphon break. It will prevent a backflow to your sump. On the second question you can glue with an epoxy but I dont do that. I have mine leaning firmly on the back glass to make the fish swim out front.

Thanks Mike... I do understand the holes are for a siphon break... what i'm not understanding is why the water level in each overflow isn't the same. I have a telescopic durso and they are each at the exact level. doesn't seem to be affecting the drain pressure though .....

Back
Top Bottom