New 150 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I m a proponent of glass tops.. haven't had any ill affects from mine and they give me peace in mind at night. But I also consider mesh screens to be the minimum. Id never run a sw tank without some sort of top on it

I have the glass tops already, maybe I'll try them, but I like how much water evaporates I add a gallon a day or so. That's almost an extra 10% water change every two weeks, I still do 20% every two weeks, but so far my parameters have been great I usually have 0 to half a ppm nitrate when I test. Everything else has been spot on also. I think I may put them on and see what happens.

It's not really a water change as all the nutrients and assorted other junk is left behind. So to me it's extra pain in the butt that's more or less unneeded. Mind you I only do pwc every couple of months with no I'll effects. Not one yet on the cube up since first week of August cycled and loaded now all numbers perfect or better than I thought.

Yeah I didnt think about it leaving the junk behind, good point, but I will stick to my 20% twice a month. I wouldn't be able to sleep I would be too worried if I had not done one for months!

Jsmith79 said:
Will taking something away from a sea urchins back hurt them, mine is carrying around my blue spruce frag.

Nope. Just be gentle and don't get stung. Mine was carrying a zebra turbo grazer, I had to get it off.. Lol

When you keep a sponge filter in your sump for a qt tank do you just put the sponge in the sump, or do you have to keep it on a power head that is running? Can anyone recommend a good one? Will one be enough for a 20 gallon qt?

I just let mine hang out in there just make sure it can't get to the pump in takes

Does anyone have a yellow longnose butterfly fish in a reef tank? I'm looking for a good reef safe bright yellow fish, can't get a yellow tang cause I already have a purple one. Any ideas?

Jsmith79 said:
Does anyone have a yellow longnose butterfly fish in a reef tank? I'm looking for a good reef safe bright yellow fish, can't get a yellow tang cause I already have a purple one. Any ideas?

Fox face lo... Very bright and had in reef tank with no issues.

Naso tang has black blotches, they are not little specks like black ich, and the gray around them is faded a little anyone have an idea what it may be?

About to move a 180 gallon Reef tank to my house, tank is 2 hours away. Any advice would be appreciated. It has live sand for substrate, what is best way to move that?

Jsmith79 said:
About to move a 180 gallon Reef tank to my house, tank is 2 hours away. Any advice would be appreciated. It has live sand for substrate, what is best way to move that?

Put it in buckets and rinse it to death... Lol... Also, make sure u strap it down and take it easy on the way home.

Think I should buy new sand, I'm going to have a lot to do already, and want to get fish back in there ASAP. When you rinse it do you have to use rodi water?

Back
Top Bottom