New 150 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jsmith79 said:
Think I should buy new sand, I'm going to have a lot to do already, and want to get fish back in there ASAP. When you rinse it do you have to use rodi water?

Just regular water is fine

Does anyone have a sump without filter socks? The one that comes with the tank I bought doesnt have any, the water comes down from the main tank into the sump where the protein skimmer is and then over an acrylic wall into the area where the return pump takes it back. It seems to me like this would not be very efficient. There is live rock and sand in there, but what would actually filter anything out? Does anyone else have one like this, or any opinions? I was thinking about trying to install filter socks someway.

You can run it without socks if you syphon the waste out on a regular basis. I use media bags as filter socks and just replace them every week or two . But you are right your not taking anything out of your system without them on there .

Can you put fish in a brute can full of water with a lid and transport them if the temp is ok? How about corals if they don't touch each other? I know you don't want the fish and corals together in the same one.

Would it be better to move fish, and corals in a large brute trash can with 20 gallons of water from the tank they are in, or in a bag inside a cooler?

I don't want to run out, I want to keep using it so I don't have to buy different salt for each tank. I didn't know if the trace elements and whatever else was in the reef salt wasn't being used up by corals if it could build up and cause any problems

Jsmith79 said:
I don't want to run out, I want to keep using it so I don't have to buy different salt for each tank. I didn't know if the trace elements and whatever else was in the reef salt wasn't being used up by corals if it could build up and cause any problems

You will be fine. Won't hurt anything. I thought you went to fowlr and had extra salt.

I was going to haul fish 2 hours away next weekend in a large aerated tote in cab of truck so I can set climate control to keep temp ok. Anyone have any reasons why not? Of course I will protect floor from spills.

Thinking about getting a porcupine puffer down the road, any advice? Some things I have read online say they are best kept alone. Has anyone had any luck keeping them with other fish? What do you feed them and how often? I know you have to feed something hard to wear down their teeth.

Look up "Mikes 180 gallon fowlr build" he has a porcupine puffer he calls porc chop... Got videos and everything...

For feeding i feed mine small amounts once a day. Whole krill , clams, mussels , table shrimp , hermits, emerald crabs , crayfish, scallops, squid no fish ever. I'm still in the short term with him and other fish . So far so good. Fast moving non aggressive fish is the key to keeping them with tankmates. You do have to realize they can be aggressive and some kill all tankmates. Also if your attached to any fish i would reconsider. They can kill your fish with one bite. Anything else you would like to know you can ask here or pm me I will be glad to help.

Porc chop looks awesome! Is that a lionfish in there with him to? Has he ever nipped the fins? Where do you buy all the seafood your feeding him? Emerald crabs, that's an expensive snack!
Thanks for the info.

Thanks . Nope no nipping from chop at all. Luckily he is well behaved . He did give my hippo a warning shot when I first put the tang in there. I get my seafood from the local supermarket and crawfish at the Lfs .

Back
Top Bottom