Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-16-2006, 09:13 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Originally Posted by Axume
About lighting.... does a Fowlr really need the 4 watts (or whatever)_pr. gallon? I really don't know how soon I'm going to introduce corals. Do anemones require intense lighting?
Once you research the cost of normal florescent lighting you will probably want to spend the extra on decent lighting from the start if wanting corals at any time in the next couple of years assuming you don’t already have florescent lighting. If you do then they will be fine for fowlr but corals are out of the question until you upgrade.

The cheapest lighting for fowlr that I could find for a 72” long tank (is that how long it is?) was this JEBO 160W unit on Ebay for $89 + shipping ($30). That would only be enough light for low light corals and most low light corals have other feeding requirements since they don’t rely on light for photosynthesis and are mostly difficult to care for.

JEBO/ODYSSEA lights are usually the cheapest lighting out there but you get what you pay for and they usually don’t last long.

For moderate light corals you really need to be in the 500W-800+W range and instead of spending money on cheap lighting and having to spend $400+ again later on for decent lighting you are better off getting decent lighting in the first place.

The most basic decent lighting would be like this 72” Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Light for $320 + shipping or this 72” Current USA unit for $400+ shipping

Both of these lights are on the low end of lighting requirements and considering the depth of the tank would be pushing it for some medium light corals.

If your willing to spend the $$$ then MH/PC is the way to go for all your coral needs in the future.

Current USA 72" Metal Halide runs around $900 + shipping.
Coralife Aqualight Pro 72" 250W HQI is about $1200 + shipping. (almost twice the watts though)

You can build them yourself with retrofit kits and save a little bit though.

Lights are always the most expensive investment for reef tanks and without quality lighting you are doomed to fail in the long run.
Also most anemones require the high lighting requirements and will not survive with basic or even PC only lighting.

Lastly for sump/refugium ideas checkout melevsreef.com

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
MSU Fan- Never been to the Green Bay stores, will have to get up there in the next month or so. Just went to a little store in FonDuLac called Rivers and Reefs the other day. Nice little store but they really didn't have many corals when I was there. Worth a stop if your in the area though.

austinsdad- Thanks for the link, I will definatly have to keep that in mind. Man I can see how costly this hobby could be if you were doing multiple display tanks. Or one big display tank for that matter.

tecwzrd- Great info. I can get by with the two 36" power compacts I have while I set up, cycle, add non light dependent inverts ect. Then I just have to decide if I really want corals.... or if I want an Imperator Angel with other beauties not so sutable for reef setups. Probably I will end up with a reef set up, but I really would love a big Angel centerpiece fish.

Any corals that are better equiped to handle the big Angels than others? Any big Angels that are more suitable for a reef tank than others?

Axume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 10:22 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How about the 72” Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Light + the two coralife 36" 96 watt compact florescent 50/50 that I already have. That would be 384 watts + 192 watts = 576 watts.

I know that would probably be enough for some soft coral according to what I have read. Would it be sufficient for some LPS corals placed near the top of the tank?

Axume is offline   Reply With Quote

fowlr, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com