Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2014, 01:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New 15gal

Hi there good day,

I just set a new 15gal salt water tank i bought live sand and 16lbs of live rock, when i bought the live rock it has a foul smell so i decide to wash it by tap water but i dont clean too much worrying that it would not be a live rock anymore if i clean it too much i did everything what my lfs told me to do the water is crystal clear but the smell
Of the water is not good and when i check the ammonia it was too high.
What should i do to lower down the ammonia and what is the indication that i could put fish already

Thank you

Old 05-04-2014, 02:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you bought funky smelling live rock that's not a good sign. Washing it in tap water is also not a good thing to do. I would recommend buying some liquid test kits so you can monitor your water, then read the articles on here on how to cycle a salt water tank. If your plan is for a reef tank you shouldn't be using tap water at all but a bit more research is needed before you add livestock...

Old 05-04-2014, 04:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Where could i read the articles maybe the research that i did is not enough, thank you so much i hope in few more days my tank will be stable
Old 05-04-2014, 05:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think they come up on the mobile site so you'd have to log in from a desktop computer. Your cycle will take 3-4 weeks so plenty of time to do some more reading.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com