New 16 Gallon Nuvo...Rock Question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BassSoLow

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello All!

I set up my Nuvo 16 2 weeks ago and at the time got 3 decent sized pieces of live rock, fully cured, from my LFS.

Since the, I have added 2 clown fish...

I would like to add another piece of live rock, but not sure if I have to wait or if I can just add it in?

Thanks!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you add the clownfish because the tank was done cycling? At two weeks you shouldn't be adding fish if you are preforming a hard cycle. You should be ok to add more rock, if you don't expose it to air, there won't be any die off.

I followed the instructions of my LFS...set up the tank, brought them water to test, and they cleared me for a couple fish. Since the tank was small it cycled really fast.

The live rock I get from them is fully cured too.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm sorry but a tank takes longer then that to cycle. Most likely they just wanted a sale. There is more then just testing once.

True and false. I have set up 5 tanks all using "live" liverock and the tank was cycled in a day. all of them. However, When I had a Nuvo 16, that tank would appear be cycled and then three days later I would see spikes all over. It would be good for a week, then there would be more spikes. I added one good piece of liverock and the tank was fully cycled with no more spikes.

True and false. I have set up 5 tanks all using "live" liverock and the tank was cycled in a day. all of them. However, When I had a Nuvo 16, that tank would appear be cycled and then three days later I would see spikes all over. It would be good for a week, then there would be more spikes. I added one good piece of liverock and the tank was fully cycled with no more spikes.

I'd love to see all 5 of those tanks. They don't cycle in a day, I'm sorry. It just doesn't work that way. It's one thing to transfer an established tank and turn ii into another. Completely cycling a tank takes much longer, especially when soft cycling.

Well, Im not lying. If you take established rock and use it in a new tank and will and does cycle your tank. 5 Tanks do not lie. My last tank, which I used 40 pounds of live rock and 100 pounds of dry rock, also was fully cycled. I still have it and its going strong

img_2942182_0_adfab92d9f4679cf4af822fbc733af87.jpg

Well, Im not lying. If you take established rock and use it in a new tank and will and does cycle your tank. 5 Tanks do not lie. My last tank, which I used 40 pounds of live rock and 100 pounds of dry rock, also was fully cycled. I still have it and its going strong

img_2942229_0_adfab92d9f4679cf4af822fbc733af87.jpg

Never did I state you were lying. However, I did just say it was one thing to transfer an established tank to another, and to just starts new tank completely.

Back
Top Bottom