new 180

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FDshoes

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just picked up a 180 g gonna slowly start putting it together. I am looking for lighting ideas. I want them to be able to support most corals.
If any one has done any diy projects how much money do you save? And are tree any good sited that have some good sets of plans?

Anything? Or at least a link to a decent site to look at differnt lighting options? I know I can go with the t5s or halides but I have also heard that the leds are getting cheaper and better. Thoughts thank you?

i recommend T5HOs, would need your tank dimensions but would say two 3' fixtures with 8 lamps in each should be sufficiant lighting for that

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently running a 90 with T5's but it us only a fowlr and would like to transition to a reef. Hence my question about lighting. And to the earlier post abt previous lighting threads I don't currently have a computer so I am using the app for my phone so it is not easy to search older posts.

how many bulbs in the t5? and your planning to upgrade to a 180 in the future?

i would go with T5HO they put out plenty of light and they run cooler then mh and cheaper

and more energy efficiant. with good bulbs they can make corals glow like no tomorrow.

as far as LEDs they are still pricey but are powerful wit hthe right reflectors

I have 4 t5s on my 90 and yes i already have the 180. I am not sure on what type of corals yet. It is gonna start off mostly fish and gonna slowly incorporate corals since I have never had them before. So I want to make sure all my levels to be perfect or as close as possible first. That being said I don't want to get lighting and then find out it is insuficiant for something I want in the future.

I have been looking at 72 in 8 or 10 bulb t5s or the other option is three 2ft MH with a couple t5s for color.

Okay so I have been looking at 24 inch reef hqi 346 w spa lunars. There is 1 250 w MH 4 T5HO 24w and 4 lunar leds in each fixture. Would 3 of these work for almost everything? It would be a total of 1038w.

Also any estimates on what that would cost a month to run?

Or would a 72 inch ultra reef T5 with 2x250HQI, 4x80 T5HO with moonlights be better?

honestly i'm not a fan of using MH but others swear by it. MH tend to get hot and in some cases you need a chiller to bring the water temps down. they are also expensive and the bulbs have a shorter life. you can get the same PAR value if not better PAR with T5s as well as a more pleasing glow to the corals

Would 4 15k and 4 blues work or should I look for a 5 and 5? If I was going to go with strictly T5's

well i'd say go with 2 3' fixtures with 8 lamps. i'd also go with 8 12000k and 8 actinic blue, even replacing the 12000 with 10000 will still make your aquarium look like avatar

Ty I will look into those. And they will be adequate for most corals?

Finished framing up the new stand 73x25x43. A little over kill on the strength of it but it will never break lol.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110425_111606.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110425_111606.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 73
  • ForumRunner_20110425_111649.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110425_111649.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 63
thats how i'd build mine although i think i'd leave out the center braceand put the top runners long ways. i'd also use 2x6s for the top as i'd liek to place a large 4 or even 5 foot sump in the bottom.

i plan on getting a 72x24x24 180 as well, that is as soon as the person replys to my e mail

I left enough space inside to accomadate a sump that is 60x18x24. As for using 2x6s its kinda overkill. I have made load bearing walls out of 2x4s that will pass almost any building code out there plus u loss tha much more space on the interior.

i don't mean build the whole thing just the top so it can support the 2000lbs across a 6 foot span.

will the sump be able to go in though through the doors i mean or will it be a pain you put in even on an angle

Back
Top Bottom