Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
New 180 tank (pre build)

Hi, I have been learning a lot just lurking here. Thought I would start small, practice, get a few needed maintenance items, and then upgrade. Too mush money would have to be re-spent to get the tank i want. Then to keep the wife happy, a 75 gal was considered. I am remodeling a room where this new tank is being planned for. I have a wall that a 180 gal tank can fit on. It is on the first floor, against the outside wall. I may add support under the floor.

Plans are, if it is doable, I want to have the sump fuge all in the basement. I know a pump may have to be sized to take into account the extra head pressure. What I don't know is can I have the heaters in the basement in the sump? The basement is only partially finished. Lights, electricity but no insulation. The temperature is cooler than the upstairs winter and summer. Will a heater have to be continually adjusted for the changing temps upstairs? It should be fairly stable as 180 gals will take a lot to change it.

Why am I doing this? Seems like such a neater place to have the PWC water close to the sump as well as a drain. All of the misc hardware also will be away from the DT.

Comments? and Thanks

wormhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Absolutely! If you can get your sump and all the equipment in the basement and below the tank I say do it! That is my plan when my wife and I build a house. I don't want anything upstairs other then the main tank. If you can manage it build a room around your sump. This too is my plan. That will help in keeping the temp from swinging. Ventilation becomes an issue at that point but can be easily taken care of with a bathroom style ceiling fan.

When we build our house I will have a floor drain in my fish room along with water and a nice large mud sink. Having everything you need for PWCs right at your sump makes life much easier!

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
During PWC can you do the 10 or 20% water change from the sump? LFS said to do it from the DT. I guess if there is enough volume in the sump it wouldn't be much different, just less messy.

wormhauler is offline   Reply With Quote

build, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com