New 20 gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tank is not cycled if there is ammonia still present!

All three of my other tanks also show .25ppm on ammonia also. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my testers? They don't expire until 2017 but something just doesn't seem right. I'm not exactly sure what to do at this point.

I wouldn't spend big money on a ammonia tester as you won't likely use it after your tank is cycled!

I wouldn't spend big money on a ammonia tester as you won't likely use it after your tank is cycled!

+1. It's the truth. Actually I don't even test much of anything. My tank will tell me if something is wrong.. Once you are familiar enough with your tank they aren't that important.

Just bring a sample to your LFS, even if it's API. Yours might just be out-of-whack.

Ok so I have a serious nitrate problem in my big tank. 100ppm. Yea I'd say my testers are off!!

So my 20gal is showing 0-5ppm on nitrates. They said I could add a fish now if I wanted. It's only been two weeks since I started this tank. Does that advice seem right? My lfs that tested this for me is Pacific East Aquaculture.

What did you cycle the tank with again? I don't feel like reading back. How high did the ammonia go?

A large shrimp. My ammonia testers are bad and I'd hate to spend a lot of money in a tester that I would only use a couple times. It's always read about .25ppm. I didn't test it until the shrimp was in there a week.

I have 25 pounds of rock. At least 50% of It was live rock mostly from my other tank and a 5lb piece that was bought at TFP.

Any ideas on how to hang my Tao light fixture? I don't have any wall studs in close proximity to the tank. The tank sits on my dresser. Any ideas?

Can you attach something to the back of the dresser? Google "stand for aquarium light". Then click on "images". There are a lot of good ideas...

Can you attach something to the back of the dresser? Google "stand for aquarium light". Then click on "images". There are a lot of good ideas...

The back of the dresser is that 1/8" thin flimsy plywood.

Second question: would a mandarin survive as an only fish? My lfs sells copepods in 6, 12, and16 ounce sizes so feeding wouldn't be a problem.

No way. An average mandarin can eat a bottle of pods a day. It's going to cost you more than it's worth.
Unless of course it's eating prepared foods. I wouldn't count on this though.

How does one go about "training" them on other foods? Live aquaria says they will eat mysis and brine also.

Mine will eat brine shrimp, mysis are too big ! He started by picking off my sun coral and now will eat any he sees! I did not train him at all he probaly started out of desperation:(

You could simply add some pure ammonia, then see how long it takes for it to become undetectable.
About the mandarin and eating prepared foods, it's definitely uncommon. Don't believe it will eat anything other than live pods. If it does, it's a bonus, but highly unlikely.

You could simply add some pure ammonia, then see how long it takes for it to become undetectable.
About the mandarin and eating prepared foods, it's definitely uncommon. Don't believe it will eat anything other than live pods. If it does, it's a bonus, but highly unlikely.

As in household cleaning ammonia?

Back
Top Bottom